Final Score: VCU 5, Old Dominion 1
Location: Sportsbackers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 2-5-0, Old Dominion 3-3-1 

The Short Story: Luc Fatton acclimated himself to the 2016 Men's Soccer season in a big way for VCU on Tuesday night. The Charlottesville native collected three goals in a six-minute span in the first half to lift the Black & Gold to a 5-1 thumping of the Old Dominion Monarchs. 


  • Fatton's scores were his first goals of the season, and immediately put him in the lead on the team in that category.
  • Both Jorge Herranz and Rafael Andrade Santos notched their second goals of the season as the other two scores on the night for VCU. Herranz would also finish with two assists, while Santos also chipped in with one.
  • Dakota Barnathan and Steven Dal Molin also pitched in with assists on the match as well.
  • Goaltender Pierre Gardan played just over 83 minutes in net on the night, collecting his second win of the season.
  • Both teams finished with double-digit shots, with VCU holding a 19-17 advantage.
  • Old Dominion had 14 corner kick opportunities throughout the match; compaired to VCU's three. The Monarchs also led in fouls, 18-9, that also included three yellow cards. 


  • The Monarchs jumped on the board early in the 7th minute, as Jimmy Filerman dribbled down to the end line, beat a VCU defender and sent a pass into the six-yard box. Making the run in was CJ Taylor, who met the ball and put it by Gardan for his first goal of the season. The score put the Monarchs up 1-0. 
  • VCU got their first good chance in the 16th minute, as Fatton got a pass inside the 18. With a 180-degree spin, Fatton unloaded a shot that sailed high of the crossbar, keeping things 1-0 Old Dominion.
  • In the 26th minute, Fatton finally broke through with his first goal of the night. Herranz took a shot from the top of the 18, which was saved by the goalie. However, he left a long rebound that was picked up by Fatton and one-timed into the net to tie the score at 1-1.
  • Just over a minute and a half later, VCU would set up for a corner kick just at the start of the 28th minute. Fatton would meet his cross with a header inside the six-yard box for his second goal of the night, putting VCU up 2-1.
  • Finally in the 31st minute, Fatton came through with his third goal of the match. Herranz would send a free kick in toward the box, which was headed toward the net by Barnathan. Just as it looked Barnathan might have the goal, Fatton finished it off at the end line to put the Rams up 3-1.
  • Just six minutes into the second half, Herranz would get in on the scoring bandwagon and snipe his second goal of the season. A high lofted pass into the 18 by Santos would find Herranz for the goal, putting the Black and Gold up 4-1.
  • The final score of the night would come from Santos in the 73rd minute, who would find the right upper 90 on a free kick to give VCU the 5-1 lead, which would remain through the final horn.


VCU will return to action this Saturday, September 24 when they hike across the country into Saint Louis. The Rams and Billikens will square off with an 8:30 pm EST kickoff.