Final Score: UNLV 2, VCU 1 (2OT)
Location: Sportsbackers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 0-2-0, UNLV 1-1-0
The Short Story: After a heartbreaking 2-1 overtime loss on Friday night, the VCU Rams had another crack to get into the win column this season as they faced the UNLV Rebels at Sportsbackers Stadium Sunday night. The same script came into play for the Black and Gold, as a double overtime goal by UNLV's Timo Mehlich in the 103rd minute sank VCU by a 2-1 score.
- Rafael Andrade Santos scored his first goal of the season in his first appearance for the Black and Gold this season.
- The Rebels outshot the Rams for the game 14-11, gaining their advantage in the second half with seven shots.
- Both teams scampered away with four corner kicks apiece, while UNLV led the way in fouls with 17 compared to VCU's eight.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UNLV forward Danny Musovski got the action started and scored the first goal of the match in the 24th minute. Forward Memo Diaz was credited with the assist.
- The Rams retaliated in the 30th minute, when Junior Midfielder Rafael Andrade Santos found the back of the net with an unassisted goal, his first of the season. The goal would tie things at 1-1.
- In the 41st minute VCU remained on the attack. Luc Fatton fired a shot off of the goal post, with RJ Roberts quickly getting a shot of his own off a rebound, which was blocked by a UNLV defender.
- VCU put the pressure on in the 59th minute with close looks from both Fatton and Santos but failed to capitalize.
- In the 66th minute, the Rams' senior midfielder Jorge Herranz attempted to break the tie, but Nathan Bohn of UNLV made a miraculous save with quick reation above his head to keep things even.
- UNLV threatened in the 74th minute with a strike from forward Danny Musovski, but a quick recovery by Pierre Gardan kept the Rebels at bay.
- After regulation time, which saw 20 combined shots, the Black and Gold would battle it out with the Rebels in overtime.
- The Rams were on the attack in the start of the second overtime. Down a player due to a red card, the Rams allowed a game-winning goal in the 103rd minute. UNLV Midfielder Timo Mehlich scored a late goal off of the assist from Danny Musovski.
VCU will return to action this next Friday, September 2 when they hit the road for the first time this season. They will travel to Coastal Carolina, with game time set for 7 p.m.
COACH ON THE GAME
"That was a very tough way to end the game tonight. I thought we made a really good step forward from Friday night. To go from having what should have been our second penalty in the last 10 minutes to then having a man sent off for diving, then for them to get a goal way against the run of play was rough. This team could be a very special group if we can keep improving every day the way we have the first few weeks. It will swing our way if we just stick to the processand believe in what we do."