FINAL: No. 3 VCU 2, No. 6 Duquesne 1 (A-10 Championship Quarterfinals – Dayton, Ohio)
RECORDS: VCU (11-6-2), Duquesne (9-8-1)
VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells (GK), #3 Castillo, #4 Harvey, #7 Monge Solano, #10 Bowie, #12 Belmar, #14 Herrera Meraz, #16 Duffie, #18 Shiffman, #19 Keita, #24 Fisher
DUQUESNE STARTERS: #27 Frymier (GK), #3 Phillips, #4 De Villardi, #10 Pantophlet, #11 Gomez, #15 Essig, #17 Cesarini, #19 Discomma, #21 Lange, #22 Alescio, #24 Hellstroem
- Sophomore Devon Fisher scored with four minutes remaining in regulation as third-seeded VCU edged No. 6 Duquesne, 2-1, in the quarterfinals of the 2013 Atlantic 10 Championship Thursday afternoon in Dayton, Ohio.
- VCU advances to the semifinals for the second straight year and will face No. 2 George Mason on Friday, Nov. 15 at 5 p.m.
- The Rams and Dukes met for the second time in four days as Duquesne defeated VCU in the regular season finale on Nov. 10.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Duquesne took advantage of on opportunity in the fourth minute, but it proved to be the only true threat for the Dukes on the day. Chris Alescio dribbled through the right side of the field before passing to Thomas De Villardi, who launched a shot toward the net from near the penalty spot for a 1-0 lead.
- VCU threatened twice over the next eight minutes but Duquesne goalkeeper Sam Frymier made a pair of saves on shots from junior Mario Herrera Meraz and senior Romena Bowie.
- VCU countered in the 16th minute as senior Garrett Harvey netted the equalizer when he took a cross from junior Ritchie Duffie and fired past Frymier in the upper middle of the net, which tied the score at 1-1.
- Frymier came up with another stop on a shot off the foot of Herrera Meraz in the 23rd minute before Wells answered with a pair of saves during a four-minute stretch shortly after.
- The Dukes recorded six of their 11 shots during the first 20 minutes of the second period but couldn't regain the lead.
- Sophomore Dennis Castillo had a look high in the 68th minute before Bowie's offering was blocked in the 76th minute.
- Junior Jose Manel fired three shots during the next four minutes but couldn't connect as Frymier came up with his fifth save on Manel's third attempt.
- VCU continued to push and Fisher eventually netted the game-winner with just over four minutes to play in regulation. Bowie sent a ball into the middle, where Fisher fired a shot from inside the six-yard box to put the Rams ahead 2-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU held a 14-11 advantage in shots, including a 7-3 edge in shots on goal.
- Harvey netted his fourth goal of the year, while Fisher scored for the third time this season.
- Duffie dished out his second assist and Bowie collected his first on Fisher's game-winner.
- Herrera Meraz finished with a game-high four shots, three on frame.
- Seven different Rams collected a shot.
- Wells posted a pair of saves in goal for VCU.
- Both teams combined to fire 10 first half shots, eight of which were on goal.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU advances to the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Championship and will face second-seeded George Mason on Friday, Nov. 15 at 5 p.m.