FINAL: VCU 0, William & Mary 0 (Williamsburg, Va.)
VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells (GK), #3 Castillo, #5 Paz, #7 Monge Solano, #8 Barnathan, #12 Belmar, #18 Shiffman, #19 Keita, #23 Manel, #24 Fisher
VCU RESERVES: #31 Cyprus (GK), #2 Owusu, #15 Fajardo, #17 Lee, #25 Bates, #27 Freibaum, #32 Foster
- VCU battled former Colonial Athletic Association foe William & Mary to a scoreless tie in its spring opener Friday night in Williamsburg, Va.
- The Rams and Tribe met for the first time since VCU claimed a 2-0 regular season victory last fall at Sports Backers Stadium on Aug. 26.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams, who played in a new formation Friday night, created a trio of looks throughout the match.
- In the first half, newcomer Pablo Paz fed sophomore Jose Manel (pictured) on a breakaway. Manel rounded the keeper but lifted a shot just over the crossbar.
- Paz had his hand in another chance for VCU in the second half when he curled a shot from 25 yards out into the upper right corner. However, the keeper was able to tip the ball over the crossbar at the last second to keep the Rams off the board.
- VCU had another second-half look when Peter Lee, who was stationed at the far post, took a feed from the right flank, but William & Mary's goalkeeper was able to stuff the shot.
- The Tribe's best chance came in the final period on a low shot from 10 yards out off the left side of the goal, but Rams goalkeeper Andrew Wells came up with a save.
"It was an encouraging first night out for us. After only a few days of training, a new shape, and without several starters from the fall, we had some very positive moments. We were also able to get some minutes for all the healthy and eligible players in the squad against a strong William & Mary team, who was also in their first week of full spring training. Overall, we can take a lot from tonight's game and look forward to building on tonight's performance this next week in training."
-VCU Head Coach Dave Giffard
VCU continues its spring slate on March 1 when it hosts its annual alumni game at Sports Backers Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.