Castillo's Goal in 87th Minute Gives VCU 1-0 Win at Butler
FINAL: No. 21 VCU 1, Butler 0 (Indianapolis, Ind.)
VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells (GK), #3 Castillo, #5 Haboush, #7 Monge Solano, #10 Bowie, #11 Johnson, #14 Herrera Meraz, #16 Arbelaez, #18 Shiffman, #22 Seymour, and #24 Fisher
BUTLER STARTERS: #35 Dawson (GK), #3 Postlewait, #5 Fricke, #7 Oldham, #8 Adkins, #10 Steinberger, #11 Leyden, #12 Sass, #14 Odgaard, #22 Webber and #25 Burt
THE BASICS: Freshman Dennis Castillo found the net off a corner kick in the 87th minute to give No. 21 VCU a 1-0 victory at Butler on Sunday afternoon. The Rams posted their second shutout in the last three matches.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Neither team collected a shot in the early going until VCU junior Jason Johnson fired a look just wide in the 19th minute.
- Butler had a pair of chances during a two-minute span beginning in the 24th minute, but neither shot was on target. Jeff Adkins missed wide left in the 24th minute and Blake Leyden pushed a shot high in the 26th.
- The first shot on goal didn't come until the second half, when VCU had two chances. Johnson had a pair of looks in the 55th and 57th minutes but Butler goalkeeper Jon Dawson made saves on both attempts.
- Sophomore Jose Manel fired two shots on frame in the 66th and 70th minutes, but couldn't find the net.
- Butler tried to take the lead in the 78th minute on a shot from Brycen Howard but VCU redshirt junior goalkeeper Andrew Wells was there for the stop to keep the match scoreless.
- The Rams threatened again late in the match. In the 86th minute, redshirt freshman Devon Fisher launched a shot on goal, but Dawson made his sixth save, but the ball deflected out of bounds to set up a corner kick.
- Sophomore Mario Herrera Meraz took the ensuing corner and found Castillo, who sent a header into the net to give VCU a 1-0 advantage with only three minutes remaining.
INSIDE BOX SCORE:
- VCU outshot Butler 13-7, including a 7-1 advantage in shots on goal. Johnson led the Rams with a game-high four shots, while sophomore Juan Monge Solano added two.
- Castillo's game-winning goal was the first of his career. The tally was his third of the season.
- Herrera Meraz added his fifth assist of the year, and fourth in his last four matches.
- Wells faced seven shots and made one save to earn his fourth shutout of the season, and second in VCU's last three outings.
VCU concludes its four-game road swing with a pair of matches next weekend. The Rams visit Fordham on Friday, Oct. 19 before heading to La Salle Sunday, Oct. 21.