Score: VCU 76, Fordham 51
Location: Bronx, N.Y. (Rose Hill Gymnasium)
Records: VCU 10-4 (1-0 Atlantic 10), Fordham 9-5 (0-1)
The short story: Redshirt junior guard Marcus Evans led three players in double figures with 17 points and VCU shot 67 percent from the field on the way to a comfortable win in their Atlantic 10 Conference opener Saturday.
- Evans connected on all six of his field goal attempts and was 4-of-4 at the free throw line in 20 minutes of action. He also handed out three assists and scoped up three steals. VCU was plus 34 with him on the floor
- Sophomore forward Marcus Santos-Silva finished 6-of-7 from the floor in 16 minutes on the way to 13 points for the Black and Gold.
- Sophomore forward Sean Mobley returned to the starting lineup Saturday and supplied 12 points three assists and three steals for VCU.
- Jalen Cobb led Fordham with 14 points
- VCU never trailed in the game. The Black and Gold jumped out to a 7-0 lead and never looked back.
- VCU forced 18 Fordham turnovers and shot a blistering 67 percent (30-of-45) from the field, including 7-of-16 from beyond the 3-point arc. VCU was also 9-of-10 at the free throw line
- Fordham, meanwhile, shot 22 percent (5-of-23) from the field on the first half and watch as VCU built a 35-16 advantage. Fordham shot 33 percent (17-of-52) from the floor overall
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Fordham's 16 first-half points were the least VCU has surrendered in a half this season
- VCU has shot better than 50 percent from the field in three straight games
- Eleven VCU players scored Saturday
- VCU is 9-1 all-time against Fordham, and the Black and Gold improved to a league-best 74-31 in A-10 play since the start of the 2012-13 season
VCU will host La Salle on Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 7 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. That game will be broadcast on MASN.