Score: VCU 69, Hofstra 67 OT
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 5-1, Hofstra 3-3
Attendance: 7,637 (121st consecutive sellout)
The short story: Junior guard De'Riante Jenkins led the Rams with 19 points, while redshirt junior guard Marcus Evans banked home a go-ahead runner with 29.4 seconds remaining to lift VCU over Hofstra Saturday night in overtime.
- Jenkins provided 19 points on 7-of-15 shooting, including 5-of-11 from beyond the arc and added five rebounds for the Rams
- Redshirt junior guard Marcus Evans continued his solid start to the season, posting 13 points, five assists and three steals
- Redshirt junior forward Issac Vann played an all around game, chipping in 16 points, four rebounds, four steals and three assists
- Hofstra was led by guard Justin Wright-Foreman, who provided 27 points, five rebounds and four assists in 45 minutes
- VCU forced 19 Pride turnovers and held Hofstra to 36.7 percent shooting (22-of-60) from the field.
- The Rams trailed by as many as three in the overtime period, but Vann scored three straight points, including a jumper with 1.21 remaining to tie the game at 67-all. Two possessions later, Evans drove to the middle following a VCU offensive rebound and banked home a floater from eight feet for the eventual game-winning bucket. The Pride had two more chances, but turned the ball over on their penultimate possession, then missed a 3-pointer on the final play of the game
- Vann's layup with 28 seconds left in regulation tied the game at 61 and forced overtime
- Vann drove for two with just under seven minutes to play and sparked a 9-2 Rams' run that re-tied the game at 57-57 with 3:37 to play in the second half.
- With VCU leading 41-31 early in the second half, Hofstra went on a 13-2 run to take their first lead of the game at 44-43. The Pride would lead by as much as six in the second half
- The Rams turned up the pressure during an early 19-5 run, ignited by a Vann layup and punctuated by a Jenkins 3-pointer, to push VCU ahead 30-15 with just under three minutes remaining in the half. VCU would take a 36-23 lead into the locker room
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU totaled 14 steals and five blocked shots in the game
- The Rams outscored Hofstra 40-24 in points in the paint
- The Rams held a 19-8 advantage in points off turnovers
- The Rams shot 41.7% (30-of-72) from the field led by as many as 15
- VCU turned 19 Hofstra turnovers into 14 points, scored 40 points in the paint and owned an 14-8 advantage in fast break points
VCU returns to action on Wednesday, Nov. 28 when the Rams travel to the Ted Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Va. for a 7:00 p.m. matchup with in-state rival Old Dominion. MASN will televise the contest.
COACH RHOADES POSTGAME