Score: VCU 82, UMass 78
Location: Amherst, Mass. (Mullins Center)
Records: VCU 16-12 (8-7 A-10), UMass 11-17 (4-11)
The short story: Senior forward Justin Tillman scored 19 of his 26 points in the second half, including several critical buckets down the stretch, as VCU picked up a road win at UMass Wednesday.
- Tillman connected on 11-of-17 shots from the floor on the way to his 20th career 20-point game and his 16th this season. He also corralled 13 rebounds to register his 13th double-double of the year.
- Sophomore guard De'Riante Jenkins poured in 11 of his 17 points in the first half to help lift the Rams to a 39-38 lead at the break.
- Senior guard Johnny Williams scored 11 points and dished out six assists for the VCU attack.
- VCU freshman forward Sean Mobley did not score in the game, but he handed out seven assists without a turnover and grabbed five rebounds.
- Luwane Pipkins, the Atlantic 10 Conference's leading scorer, erupted for a game-high 38 points to lead the Minutemen. He knocked down eight 3-pointers in the contest.
- A drive and layup by Pipkins trimmed what had been a 10-point VCU lead to 78-75 with 46 seconds left. But Williams drove and found Tillman under the basket for two with 21 seconds left the Rams' next trip down the floor. Williams then stripped Pipkins on the ensuing possession and found Tillman for a vicious right-handed dunk with nine seconds on the clock.
- Pipkins tied the game at 63-63 with a 3-pointer with 7:39 showing on the clock. VCU proceeded to rip off a 15-5 run that included seven points by Tillman to assume a 78-68 advantage with 2:38 left.
- VCU shot 54 percent (32-of-59) from the field in the game, including 62 percent (18-of-29) in the second half.
- The Rams outscored UMass 38-26 in the paint.
- Tillman's double-double is his 13th of the year, the most by a Ram since Larry Sanders totaled 14 in 2009-10. Tillman's 29 career double-doubles rank third in school history.
- The game featured six ties and 13 lead changes.
- Wednesday's win is VCU's first at the Mullins Center. The Rams dropped their previous two games on UMass' home court.
VCU will host St. Bonaventure on Saturday, Feb. 24 at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. That contest is slated to tip off at 8 p.m. and will be televised on CBS Sports Network.