Score: Richmond 67, VCU 52
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 11-8 (3-3 A-10), Richmond 5-13 (3-3 A-10)
Attendance: 7,637 (111th consecutive sellout)
The short story: VCU struggled to find a rhythm as the Rams shot just 34.4 percent from the field while Richmond shot a blistering 53.7 percent Wednesday at the E.J. Wade Arena. The Spiders shot 58.3 percent in the second half to pull away from the Rams.
- VCU senior forward Justin Tillman fell just shy of his eighth-straight double-double with 12 points and nine rebounds. He tied for the team-high with sophomore guard Mike'l Simms with 12 points.
- Rams' redshirt sophomore forward Issac Vann added 10 points and four rebounds for the Black and Gold.
- VCU trailed just 34-27 at the break but hot shooting allowed the Spiders to build a 67-46 lead with 4:05 remaining in the contest. The Rams cut the deficit but were unable to complete the comeback.
- Grant Golden led four Richmond players in double figures with 17 points. Nick Sherod added 14 points and seven rebounds.
- VCU shot just 4-of-23 from 3-point range (17.4 percent) while the Spiders were 7-of-17 (41.2 percent).
- Overall Richmond shot 53.7 percent (29-of-54) from the field, including 58.3 percent (14-of-24) in the second half.
- The Spiders held a 38-28 edge in rebounding, grabbing 33 defensive boards.
- Richmond outscored VCU 42-30 in points in the paint.
- Simms scored in double figures for the third time this season.
- The Rams bench outscored Richmond 14-5 for the game with Simms accounting for 12 of those points.
The Rams will face George Washington Saturday, Jan. 20 at 12:30 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena. That game will be televised by NBC Sports Network.