Score: Saint Joseph's 87, VCU 81
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hagan Arena)
Records: VCU 9-6 (1-1 A-10), Saint Joseph's (6-7 (1-1)
The short story: Senior forward Justin Tillman supplied VCU with 22 points and 12 rebounds, but his potential game-winning 3-pointer at the end of regulation was waved off and Saint Joseph's eventually nipped the Rams in overtime Wednesday.
- Tillman knocked down 11-of-16 from the field for VCU and collected his eighth 20-point effort in nine games. He also recorded his fourth straight double-double.
- Sophomore guard De'Riante Jenkins added 16 points and five assists for the Rams.
- Redshirt sophomore swingman Issac Vann provided 13 points, five rebounds and a blocked shot in 33 minutes off the bench for VCU.
- Five Hawks scored in double figures, including freshman Taylor Funk, who finished with 19.
- Funk scored six points in the extra period, including three free throws on the Hawks' opening possession. Later, his 3-pointer from the corner pushed the Hawks ahead 84-78 with 18 seconds remaining.
- Moments earlier it looked as if VCU might escape with a thrilling victory. Shortly after senior guard Johnny Williams tied the score at 76-all with a tough drive to the rim, Tillman scooped a full-court pass and buried a 3-pointer from the left wing at the final horn. However, replays showed the ball had not left Tillman's hand prior to time expiring.
- VCU was just 2-of-10 from the field in overtime. The Rams were 6-of-29 from 3-point range in the game, including 1-of-7 in OT.
- Saint Joseph's owned a 38-7 advantage in free throws attempts.
- The Hawks committed just two turnovers in the first half on the way to a 46-40 lead and finished the game with nine.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tillman owns six double-doubles this season and has topped 20 points in a game nine times.
- VCU limited Saint Joseph's to 9-of-31 shooting from the field in the second half as the Rams erased a six-point deficit.
- The Rams outrebounded the Hawks 48-39.
The Rams will remain in Philadelphia until Saturday, Jan. 6, when they take on La Salle at 2 p.m. at Tom Gola Arena. NBC Sports Network will televise that contest.