Score: VCU 76, Fordham 63
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena the Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 9-5 (1-0 A-10), Fordham 5-8 (0-1)
Attendance: 7,637 (109th consecutive sellout)
The short story: When things are clicking for Justin Tillman, it usually means good results for VCU. On Saturday, things were clicking. The senior forward poured in 23 points and grabbed a season-high 14 rebounds to lead the Black and Gold to its fourth straight win, 76-63 over Fordham.
- Tillman opened the game with a 3-pointer and hit his first four shots on the way to another efficient performance. He knocked down 8-of-14 from the floor, including both of his 3-point attempts.
- Sophomore guard De'Riante Jenkins buried all three of his shots from beyond the 3-point arc and finished with 14 points and four assists for VCU. Meanwhile, sophomore guard Malik Crowfield added 10 points and three steals.
- Redshirt sophomore swingman Issac Vann returned to the VCU lineup Saturday after missing the majority of the past month with an ankle injury and provided nine points, five rebounds, five assists and a pair of steals off the bench.
- Will Tavares paced Fordham with 20 points.
- VCU used a pair of 3-pointers each by Crowfield and Jenkins to fuel a 24-5 blitz late in the first half on the way to a 48-26 advantage. VCU never trailed in the game.
- The Black and Gold outrebounded Fordham 36-25 and the VCU bench outscored Fordham's reserves 21-3.
- VCU shot .667 (18-of-27) from the field in the first half on the way to a 20-point cushion.
- Fordham used a 16-3 run early in the second half to pull within eight points, but could get no closer.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tillman's double-double is his third straight and fifth this season. He owns 21 career double-doubles, which is tied for sixth in school history.
- Tillman is averaging 22.6 points and 9.4 rebounds in his past eight games.
- VCU is 6-2 this season when outrebounding its opponent.
- The Black and Gold have handed out 21 and 20 assists, respectively, in its last two games.
VCU will hit the road to face Saint Joseph's at Hagan Arena in Philadelphia, Pa. on Wednesday, Jan. 3 at 7 p.m. That game will be televised on MASN.