Score: VCU 98, Virginia Union 74
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
The short story: Senior Khris Lane led six Rams in double figures as VCU defeated Virginia Union 98-74 in VCU's final exhibition contest. VCU forced 23 Panther turnovers.
- Lane lead the way with 21 points on 8-of-11 shooting and corralled eight rebounds.
- Redshirt sophomore Issac Vann scored 17 points and slammed home two late, highlight reel dunks. The Maine transfer also added a block and a steal.
- Sophomore guard Malik Crowfield knocked down 4-of-8 from beyond the 3-point arc and finished with 16 points and three assists.
- Virginia Union was lead by senior Kory Cooley, provided 19 points and five assists.
- Three other Panthers scored double-digit points.
- The Panthers made a game of it early, but Crowfield buried back-to-back 3-pointers to ignite a 15-1 rush that pushed the Rams to a 41-26 lead with 55 seconds remaining in the first half.
- The floodgates opened in the second half as Virginia Union turnovers piled up against VCU's full-court press. The Rams shot .575 (23-of-40) in the second half and led by as many as 24.
- VCU turned 23 Panther turnovers into 29 points and scored 50 points in the paint. The Rams also owned a 16-4 advantage in fast break points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU totaled 16 steals in the game, including three each by sophomore Mike'l Simms and senior Johnny Williams.
- The Rams opened the game 2-of-11 from three, but knocked down 7-of-17 the rest of the way.
- VCU owned a 40-36 edge on the glass.
VCU opens regular season play at home on Friday, Nov. 10 against the Grambling State Tigers. Tip-off is at the Siegel Center is set for 7 p.m. The Rams expect that game to mark their 100th consecutive sellout.