Aug 16, 2016
Score: VCU 85, Combinado Valenciano 50
Location: Valencia, Spain (Pavello Municipal Pla De L'Arc)
Record: VCU 2-0 on Spanish Exhibition Tour
The short story: Senior Ahmed Hamdy posted a 15-point, 12-rebound double-double and VCU used pressure defense to key a decisive third-quarter blitz to rush past Valencia Tuesday in the second game of the Rams' Spanish exhibition tour.
- Hamdy grabbed seven offensive rebounds Tuesday and is averaging 13.5 points and 11.5 rebounds in two games in Spain.
- Four Rams scored in double figures. In addition to Hamdy, junior Jonathan Williams and freshmen De'Riante Jenkins and Marquell Fraser all scored 10 points.
- All 11 Rams played at least 11 minutes and none logged more than 26.
- VCU forced 40 Valencia turnovers and produced 28 steals. Senior Doug Brooks and freshman Malik Crowfield collected five each.
- In all, the Rams have forced 75 turnovers in two games in Spain.
- The Rams, keyed by nine steals, shot 70-percent (14-of-20) in third quarter and outscored Valencia 33-14 in the frame to take a commanding 63-39 lead.
- "We were much better today. The team we played today was better than the team we played the other day, so this was a much better performance. Our defense was outstanding tonight." – VCU Coach Will Wade
- "We were really able to set the tone there with our defense in the beginning of the second half and our pressure defense wore them down. I thought that's the best our press had looked, the best we'd scrambled in the half court. We did a really nice job of forcing a ton of turnovers." VCU Coach Will Wade