Score: VCU 93, Davidson 73
Records: VCU (25-9), Davidson (24-7)
Location: Barclays Center – Brooklyn, NY
Short Story: VCU toppled top-seeded Davidson, 93-73, on Saturday afternoon to advance to the Atlantic 10 Championship game tomorrow. Senior Treveon Graham and sophomore Mo Alie-Cox led the Rams with 18 points each.
How It Happened:
- Davidson got off to a fast start holding the Rams to just four points over the first eight minutes. The momentum shifted after Alie-Cox's put-back dunk, and it was VCU the rest of the way.
- The two teams exchanged baskets as Davidson regained a lead. Alie-Cox sank a pair of free throws and the Rams went on a 13-0 run, including three consecutive 3-pointers, to extend their lead to 35-23 with just over three minutes remaining in the first half.
- VCU drained eight 3-pointers in the first half to take a 44-28 advantage at the break.
- In the second half, the Wildcats rallied behind a 3-pointer from Tyler Kalinoski to cut VCU's lead to five, 57-52 with ten minutes left on the clock. The Rams responded by scoring 11 unanswered points.
- JeQuan Lewis and Doug Brooks drained 3-pointers in the final minute of the game to secure VCU's 93-73 win.
Beyond the Box Score:
- Alie-Cox's 18 points was a career-high.
- As a team, VCU knocked down 50 percent of shots from behind the arc. They hit 8-of-14 in the first half.
- Junior Melvin Johnson joined the 1,000 point club following his eight-point performance. He is just the 18th player in VCU history to reach the milestone in three seasons or less.
- The Rams have reached the conference championship game for five consecutive years (two of which were when VCU was a member of the CAA)
Up Next: The Rams return to the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship game for the third straight season. They will face Dayton tomorrow (March 15) at 1:00pm. The game is on CBS.