- Score: VCU 56, Richmond 50
- Records: VCU (23-7, 11-4), Richmond (18-12, 8-7)
- Location: Robins Center – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Junior Treveon Graham notched his fifth double-double of the season with 18 points and 10 rebounds to help lead the VCU men's basketball to a gutsy, come-from-behind win at Richmond. Graham helped fuel an 18-3 second half run that gave VCU a lead they would never relinquish. Senior Rob Brandenberg added 11 points including a big 3-pointer late in the second half. Junior Briante Weber picked up four steals on the night to break the Atlantic 10 single-season record with 109 on the year.
How It Happened:
- Richmond got off to a hot start early behind Kendall Anthony, taking a 10-4 lead six minutes into the contest.
- After VCU climbed back within two, the Spiders put together another run and capped it off with a four-point play by Alonzo Nelson-Ododa that gave UR a 10-point lead, 21-11 with 5:14 to play in the first half.
- Back-to-back 3-pointers from Graham helped the Rams close the deficit to four, 26-22 at the break.
- After senior Juvonte Reddic knocked down a jumpshot to start the second half, the Spiders reeled off a 9-0 run to twice hold an 11-point lead at 37-26 with 14:11 to play.
- Graham knocked down a 3-pointer with 13:29 to play to start an 18-3 run that included treys from four different Rams over a span of 3:30 and gave the Black & Gold a 44-41 cushion with 8:08 remaining.
- Richmond tied the game at 44, however Mo Alie-Cox responded on the other end with a layup in traffic. On VCU's next possession Johnson drained a three from NBA range to give VCU a 49-44 lead.
- Anthony hit a second chance three with 1:34 remaining in the game to pull the Spiders within a pair, 52-50.
- With less than ten seconds to go, the Spiders had a pair of tip-in opportunities, but could not connect. Graham hauled in the rebound, was fouled, and hit a pair of free throws to give the Rams a four-point lead with six seconds to play. Brandenberg knocked down a pair from the line to close the scoring for VCU.
How It Happened:
- VCU is the first squad ever to go undefeated against the top-six schools in the Commonwealth in the same season.
- The Rams are now 44-3 when Rob Brandenberg scores 11 points or more.
- Weber now owns the VCU career steals record (284), the VCU single-season record (109) and the Atlantic 10 single season record (109).
- VCU outrebounded their opponent for the seventh time in the past 11 games.
- VCU closes out its regular season conference schedule with a home game on Saturday against St. Bonaventure. The game will be telecast on SNY and CBS 6.2 with tipoff scheduled for 7 p.m.