Feb 06, 2014
- Score: VCU 68, Rhode Island 52
- Records: VCU (19-4, 7-1 A10), Rhode Island (11-12, 2-6 A10)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: Senior Juvonte Reddic notched his fourth straight double-double to lead the VCU men's basketball to its sixth straight victory with a 68-52 defeat of Rhode Island. It was the 17th straight win at the Siegel Center for the Rams, a streak that dates back to Jan. 26, 2013. Reddic led all scorers with 14 points, in addition to grabbing 11 rebounds. Freshman Jordan Burgess (11) and junior Treveon Graham (10) also scored in double-figures for the Black & Gold. HAVOC forced 20 turnovers en route to 13 steals.
How It Happened
- The teams traded baskets for much of the first eight minutes of the game with neither team leading by more than two possessions.
- With VCU leading 14-11 at the 12:01 mark of the first half, Reddic sparked a 13-0 VCU run, scoring six of those 13 points during the spurt.
- Defense would be the star of first half for the Rams, who held Rhode Island without a field goal for 7:56 en route to a 41-21 halftime lead.
- A steal and an emphatic dunk by Briante Weber opened the second-half scoring and gave VCU its largest lead of the game at 43-21 with 18:55 to play.
- Rhode Island wouldn't go away and got within 12 on an Xavier Munford 3-pointer with 8:10 to play, but VCU's depth would wear down URI.
- Freshman Mo Alie-Cox went a perfect 6-of-6 from the charity stripe to help ice the game and secure the win for the Black & Gold.
Beyond the Boxscore
- VCU Head Coach Shaka Smart became just the sixth head coach in college basketball history to reach 130 wins in his first five seasons. He joins Brad Stevens (139), Everett Case (137), Mark Few (133), Roy Williams (132) and Jamie Dixon (132).
- Juvonte Reddic became the 20th player in VCU history to reach 1,300 career points. The Winston-Salem, N.C. native currently sits at 1,307.
- Reddic also became the only player in VCU history to rank in the top-20 in scoring (1,307) and top-10 in rebounding (794), blocks (103) and steals (146).
- The Rams have now sold out 47 consecutive games at the Verizon Wireless Arena. The streak ranks as the fifth-longest active streak in the country.
- The Rams hit the road for a battle in Philadelphia against the Hawks of Saint Joseph's. Game time on CBS Sports Network is set for 8 p.m.