Jan 22, 2014
- Score: VCU 80, Dayton 66
- Records: VCU (15-4, 3-1 A10), Dayton (13-6, 1-3 A10)
- Location: UD Arena – Dayton, Ohio
- The Short Story: Senior Juvonte Reddic and junior Briante Weber combined for 28 second-half points and the VCU men's basketball team forced 18 turnovers en route to a decisive 80-66 road win over Dayton. Reddic finished with 18 points and seven boards, while Weber chipped in 18 points, five assists and three steals. Junior Treveon Graham was the third Ram in double-figures with 14 points and six rebounds. Led by Weber's five assists, VCU tallied 19 assists on 30 field goals, the second highest total of the season.
How It Happened
- The Rams jumped out to an early five-point (9-4 with 16:12 to play in the first) lead thanks to 3-pointers from Jordan Burgess, Rob Brandenberg and Melvin Johnson.
- With the score tied at 16, VCU turned up the HAVOC, forcing five Dayton turnovers in less than four minutes, which sparked a 14-2 run that gave the Rams a 30-18 lead with 5:28 to play in the first half. Graham scored seven of VCU's 14 points during the run.
- Thanks to Devin Oliver, Dayton would cut the lead to seven, but a fall away jumper from Weber dropped as the buzzer sounded to send VCU into halftime with a 36-27 advantage.
- The first 10 minutes of the second half saw the teams trading baskets with the VCU's lead never going above 11 or below seven.
- Freshman JeQuan Lewis knocked down back-to-back 3-pointers to spark a 19-6 VCU run that gave the Black & Gold its biggest lead of the night at 69-49 with 5:55 to play.
- Dayton would throw in a couple late 3-pointers, but VCU's lead would never dip below 14 en route to the Rams' 15th victory of the season.