- Score: Northern Iowa 77, VCU 68
- Records: UNI (5-5), VCU (8-3)
- Location: McLeod Center – Cedar Falls, Iowa
- The Short Story: Freshmen Jordan Burgess and JeQuan Lewis combined for 31 points and junior Treveon Graham scored in double-figures for the 11th straight game, but it wasn't enough as the VCU men's basketball team dropped a tough road contest at Northern Iowa, 77-68. The Rams shot above 40-percent from beyond the arc for the third straight game, but the Panthers connected on 65-percent of their shots in the second half for 50 points to come away with the win.
How It Happened
- It was a defensive struggle early on, but five straight points from senior Juvonte Reddic gave the Rams a 10-5 advantage with 12:07 to play in the first half.
- UNI responded with eight straight points, capped by a fastbreak layup from Wes Washpun to give the Panthers a 13-10 lead.
- Burgess hit his second 3-pointer of the day to cap off a 7-2 VCU run to regain the lead at 17-15 with just under six minutes left before halftime.
- UNI finished the half on a 12-3 run to take a 27-20 lead into the break.
- VCU came out of the half and scored the first five points to get within two, but UNI responded with an 8-2 run of their own to take a 35-27 lead.
- Once again, the Rams would climb back into it after Lewis drilled back-to-back 3-pointers to cap off a 10-2 VCU run to tie the game at 44 with 12:13 to play.
- UNI responded with a 7-0 run of their own to take a 51-44 lead, but a 3-pointer from Graham and a layup from Burgess got the Rams back within two with just under 10 minutes remaining in regulation.
- That was as close as the Rams would get as UNI continued to connect on the offensive end and own the boards en route to the 77-68 victory.
- The Rams have a quick turnaround as they host traditional Southern Conference power Wofford on Tuesday night. Game time at the Verizon Wireless Arena is set for 7 p.m.