December 8, 2013
REDDIC DOMINATES AS RAMS ROLL PAST OLD DOMINION, 69-48
- Score: VCU 69, Old Dominion 48
- Records: VCU (8-2), Old Dominion (4-5)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: VCU used a 28-7 run to take control and roll past in-state rival Old Dominion, 69-48. Juvonte Reddic led the Rams with 24 points and 12 rebounds while adding four blocks as well. Treveon Graham was also in double figures with 13 points. The Rams finished with 13 steals, their eighth double-digit performance of the year, and an impressive 27 offensive rebounds. The win was VCU's 17th straight in the month of December, dating back to December 29, 2010.
How It Happened:
- VCU got six quick points from Reddic as the Rams and Monarchs traded baskets early.
- Old Dominion went on a 8-0 run after the first timeout en route to a 16-8 advantage with 13 minutes remaining in the first half.
- Graham and Rob Brandenberg hit a pair of threes highlighting a 12-2 run to give VCU their first lead of the game at 21-18.
- VCU got a triple from Graham and a vicious tip dunk from Mo Alie-Cox to extend the lead to 28-20.
- The Monarchs fought back towards the end of the first half, pulling within three at 34-31.
- Graham and Reddic were both in double figures after the first half, with 13 and 12 points.
- Swapping leads for much of the beginning of the second half, Reddic took a nice dish from JeQuan Lewis and slammed it home to ignite an 8-0 run to put the Rams on top 48-41.
- Lewis gave the Rams their first double-digit lead of the game at 51-41 with a pull up three from the right wing with just over eight minutes remaining.
- Melvin Johnson extended the Rams' run to 13-0 after a pair of free throws.
- VCU got a pair of baskets from Reddic with just under six minutes remaining, the second being an athletic one-handed tip-jam to give the Rams a 60-45 lead.
- The Rams travel to Northern Iowa for a noon tipoff on Saturday, December 14th before returning home on Tuesday, December 17th to take on Wofford. Game time is set for 7pm. The game against Northern Iowa will be broadcast on ESPNU, while the Wofford game is set to air on CBS 6.3.