Nov 02, 2013
- Score: #14/#15 VCU 92, California (Pa.) 54
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: Eleven different Rams scored, including four in double-figures as the 14th-ranked VCU men's basketball team rolled past California (Pa.) in an exhibition game, 92-54. Freshman Doug Brooks led all scorers with 14 points, while senior Juvonte Reddic finished with a double-double, pouring in 12 points and hauling in 10 rebounds. Reddic also led the way defensively with six of VCU's 16 steals.
How It Happened
- VCU's defensive display started early, holding the Vulcans without a point for the first 4:37 of the contest en route to a 7-0 advantage.
- The lead first reached double-digits after Rob Brandenberg and Briante Weber drained back-to-back 3-pointers for a 15-5 cushion with 12:58 remaining in the first half.
- HAVOC got rolling in the middle of the first, forcing five turnovers in just over four minutes to spark a 15-0 VCU run to give the Rams a 30-7 lead with 8:47 left in the stanza.
- The lead would stay above 20 for much of the half as VCU took a 45-23 lead into the break.
- VCU's lead was stretched to 30 after Melvin Johnson scored eight straight points to make it a 60-29 game with 13:10 to play.
- The Vulcans got the lead down to 21, but seven points over the final 3:39 from Brooks would seal the 38-point victory for the Black & Gold.
Beyond the Box Score
- It was VCU's second exhibition victory over California (Pa.) in the past three years. Cal Head Coach Bill Brown was the head coach of Kenyon College during Coach Smart's freshman year. Brown also gave Smart his first coaching gig as an assistant at California (Pa.) in 1999.
- VCU opens up its regular season next Friday when the Redbirds of Illinois State visit the Siegel Center. Tip time on MASN is set for 7 p.m.