Mar 02, 2013
- Score: VCU 84, Butler 52
- Records: VCU (23-6, 11-3 A-10), #20 Butler (22-7, 9-5 A-10)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: VCU put HAVOC on display for the entire nation on Saturday afternoon, unleashing a feracious defensive attack that forced 20th-ranked Butler into 23 turnovers en route to a 82-54 beatdown for the Black & Gold. Senior Troy Daniels knocked down four 3-pointers en route to a game-high 20 points, while three other Rams chipped in 11 points on the afternoon. With the victory, the Rams clinched a top-four spot at the Atlantic 10 Tournament, which takes place in two weeks at the Barclays center in Brooklyn, N.Y.
How It Happened:
- Fans were greeted with a bevy of black shirts surrounding "#Havoc" outlined in gold and that's exactly what was on display from the opening tip.
- After Butler scored the opening basket, the Rams scored the next nine straight, including a steal and breakaway dunk from sophomore Briante Weber that sent the jam-packed Siegel Center into a frenzy.
- VCU's lead quickly grew into double-digits on the back of Daniels who had 14 first-half points to help the Rams push their lead into the 20s.
- A three-pointer from sophomore Treveon Graham at the first half buzzer sent VCU into the locker room with a 45-21 cushion.
- Butler came out of the locker room aggressive, scoring seven straight points capped by a three-pointer by Chase Stigall to bring the Bulldogs within 45-28.
- Five straight points from Weber quickly pushed the Black & Gold's lead back into the 20s, where it stayed for most of the second half.
- A beautiful drive and dish by Weber led to a dunk by junior D.J. Haley which pushed VCU's lead to 33, the largest of the game, with 3:54 remaining.
- Fittingly, the game came to a close when sophomore Jarred Guest forced a turnover and picked up the Rams' 17th steal of the afternoon.
Beyond the Box Score
- The 32-point loss was the worst for Butler under Head Coach Brad Stevens and first time since 1985-86 that the Bulldogs lost a conference game by 30 or more points.
- With 17 steals on the afternoon, VCU pushed its season total to 355, which sets a new Atlantic 10 Conference, breaking the old mark of 352, set by the 1997-98 Xavier squad.
- VCU is now 13-0 this year when scoring 80 or more points and 39-1 when reaching that number under Coach Smart.
- With four 3-pointer on the afternoon, Daniels became the first player in VCU history to knock down 100 in a season.
- Daniels' 103 3-pointers now rank 10th on the Atlantic 10 single-season chart.
- The Rams are back in action on Wednesday night when they host intracity rival, Richmond. Game time on CBS Sports Network is set for 8 p.m.