January 30, 2013
GRAHAM, REDDIC LEAD RAMS TO HARD-FOUGHT 70-64 ROAD WIN AT RHODE ISLAND
- Score: VCU 70, Rhode Island 64
- Records: VCU (17-5, 5-2 A-10), Rhode Island (6-13, 1-5 A-10)
- Location: Thomas M. Ryan Center - Kingston, R.I.
- The Short Story: Sophomore Treveon Graham and junior Juvonte Reddic comb ined for 37 points and 20 rebounds to lead VCU to a hard-fought 70-64 win at Rhode Island on Wednesday night. Reddic posted his third straight double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds (seven of which were offensive), while Graham scored in double-figures for the 15th straight game with a game-high 19 points. VCU shot 56.1 percent from inside the arc, finishing with 42 points in the paint on the night.
How it Happened
- The battle was on from the start with five ties and six lead changes in the first 10 minutes of action, but back-to-back second chance buckets from Graham and classmate Jarred Guest gave VCU a six-point lead at 23-17 with 5:34 to play in the first half.
- Rhode Island wouldn't go away as Xavier Munford and Andre Malone combined for 12 first-half points as URI closed within one, 29-28, at the half.
- HAVOC came flying out of the break, forcing four URI turnovers in the first four minutes of the second half en route to a 9-2 run and a 38-30 lead with 15:47 to play.
- Over the next eight minutes, Reddic scored 10 of the game's next 25 points to help VCU reel off a 19-6 run to grab the game's biggest lead at 62-47 with 4:00 remaining.
- Rhody wouldn't go away as a three-pointer from Malone capped off a 10-0 run that brought URI within five at 62-57 with just over two minutes to play.
- A huge offensive putback by Reddic and two more free-throws over the next 30 seconds would help VCU secure the six-point road win.
Beyond the Box Score
- The 18 points and 12 rebounds for Reddic marked his third straight double-double, seventh of his season and 13th of his career.
- Reddic's three straight double-doubles marks the first time since January of 2010 that a Ram has posted three consecutive double-doubles (Larry Sanders - 1/23, 1/27, 1/30)
- Graham scored in double-figures for the 15th straight game with 19 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the field. He went to the charity stripe 11 times on the night, the third time this year he's reached double-figures in free-throw attempts.
- Graham has now scored in double-figures in exactly half of his career games played (29-of-58)
- VCU entered the night as the 13th-best offensive rebounding team, grabbing 39.0% of their misses. That number went up as the Black & Gold grabbed 56.7% of their misses, totaling 17 offensive boards on the night.
- VCU returns home on Saturday evening to host Fordham for Homecoming at the Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. Game time on CBS 6.1 is set for 7 p.m.