January 12, 2013
GRAHAM, RAMS BATTLE THEIR WAY TO 11TH STRAIGHT WIN, 72-65, AT ST. BONAVENTURE
- Score: VCU 72, St. Bonaventure 65
- Records: VCU (14-3, 2-0 A10), St. Bonaventure (7-8, 0-2 A10)
- Location: Bob Lanier Court at the Reilly Center - Olean, N.Y.
- The Short Story: Sophomore Treveon Graham scored 13 of his team-leading 17 points in the second half to help VCU battle its way to its 11th straight victory, 72-65, at St. Bonaventure, the program's first Atlantic 10 road win. The Rams tightened down their defense late, holding the Bonnies without a point for nearly five minutes late in the second half to secure the victory.
How It Happened
- The first 10 minutes showed exactly how hard it was going to be to win on the road with neither team leading by four. There were three ties and four lead changes in the first 10 minutes of play.
- With the score tied at 13, VCU got jumpers from three different players (Guest, Daniels and Graham) to grab its largest lead of the stanza at six, 19-13 with just over eight minutes left before the break.
- A three from Rob Brandenberg stretched the Rams' lead to nine at one point, but the Bonnies forced VCU into 10 first-half turnovers and knocked down five three-pointers to cut the Black & Gold's lead to 32-29 heading into the break.
- The second half was much of the same with the Rams' cushion never getting over nine until just under 10 minutes left in the half.
- The cumulative effect of HAVOC came with 8:10 remaining when VCU stifled the Bonnies for the next 4:42, holding them without a point en route to an 8-0 run and a 66-53 lead with 3:28 remaining.
- St. Bonaventure would go down fighting, hitting three treys in the final three minutes to get within six twice, but ultimately, the Rams made key stops and knocked six free-throws in the final 1:17 to seal the win.
Beyond the Boxscore
- Graham's 17 points marked his 10th straight double-figure scoring game and pushed his team lead to 15.5 points per game.
- The win also secured the second straight season with an 11-game win streak for the Rams and ninth overall double-digit win streak in the program's history.
- VCU has now won 10 of its last 11 true road games, dating back to last January.
- VCU remains just one of the just 11 schools in the country to not allow an opponent to score more than 70 points in a game this year.
- VCU returns home to the Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center on Thursday in a nationally-televised battle against preseason A10 favorite, Saint Joseph's. Tip time on CBS Sports Network is set for 9 p.m.