January 2, 2013
DANIELS' 11 TREYS LEAD RAMS TO 109-58 BEATDOWN OF ETSU
- Score: VCU 109, East Tennessee State 58
- Record: VCU (11-3), ETSU (2-11)
- Location: ETSU/Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center - Johnson City, Tenn.
- The Short Story: Senior Troy Daniels continued his red-hot shooting with a record-breaking performance to lead VCU to its eighth consecutive victory, 109-58 at ETSU on Wednesday night. Daniels broke his own school record (which he set last game) and set a new Atlantic 10 Conference mark with 11 three-pointer en route to a career-high 33 points. On top of that, he grabbed 10 rebounds to notch his first career double-double. Sophomore Treveon Graham also recorded a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds on the night.
How It Happened
- From the opening tip, it was evident VCU came to play, forcing four ETSU turnovers in the first 2:20 of the game en route to a 11-2 lead behind two three-pointers from.
- Graham's five points sparked a 10-2 run that pushed the Rams lead to 27-10 with 12:12 to play in the first stanza.
- VCU's lead continued to grow, reaching as many as 24, before Jarvis Jones connected on a three-pointer at the buzzer to send the teams into the halftime break with the Black & Gold leading 51-31.
- Daniels started the second half the same way he started the first with back-to-back treys for number six and seven of the day and gave VCU a 24-point cushion.
- A layup from DJ Haley ignited a 20-4 run midway through the stanza that sent the lead over 40 at 88-45 with 8:06 remaining.
- All 11 available players for the Rams found the scoring column as VCU wrapped a dominating 51-point performance, 109-58.
Beyond the Boxscore
- Daniels' 11 three-pointers broke his own school record that he set last game against Fairleigh Dickinson. It also set the Atlantic 10 record and is the only double-digit performance this year in all of college basketball.
- The Roanoke, Va. native is now 27-of-49 from beyond the arc in his past three games and 41-of-80 in his past seven.
- VCU won the rebounding margin by 28, 51-23, led by 10 each from Graham and Daniels.
- The Rams posted their fourth straight game with double-digits in both threes and steals and are now 23-0 when achieving that under Coach Smart.
- Darius Theus moved into sole possession of 10th place on VCU's all-time assist chart with 361 during his four years.
What They're Saying
Head Coach Shaka Smart
- "I'm proud of the way our guys came out with energy from the start. I thought ETSU did a nice job executing in the first half, but our guys did a good job of coming back and making sure we were the aggressors on our defensive end in the second half."
- "Bringing Havoc is important to every game, but its particularly important when a team may be down a few guys or guys may be coming back from injury like ETSU tonight. I ask the guys prior to every game if they want to press and they always say yes. If they said no, then we wouldn't press. That's got to be the mindset for it to be successful, those guys need to want to do it every game."
- "I'm not surprised with [Daniels]. If he shoots it 20 times, then I'm not surprised he had 11. He's the best shooter I've ever coached and he's really put in a lot of extra work to get to this point."
Senior Troy Daniels
- "It's great to get a win and that's what really matters. Maybe I'll look back one day down the road when I'm gone at these records, but right now we're focused on following the process and executing the plan that the coaches lay out for us."
- "This is all my teammates. They deserve the credit. They get me open looks and allow me to get the shots I've been able to get recently."
- The Rams will do battle in their final non-conference tilt of the regular season when they host the nation's leading scorer, CJ McCollum, and the Mountain Hawks of Lehigh University on Saturday evening. Tip time on NBC Sports Network is set for 5 p.m.