Score: VCU 93, Longwood 56
Record: VCU (9-3), Longwod (3-10)
Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center - Richmond, Va.
The Short Story: For the fifth time in the past five games, VCU posted four players in double-figures, this time led by senior Troy Daniels, whose 25 points led a 93-56 beatdown of in-state rival Longwood on Friday evening. Daniels drilled seven three-pointers on the night, while junior Juvonte Reddic posted his third 20-plus point outing of the year with 20 points and five rebounds in just 21 minutes of action. The victory was the sixth consecutive for the Rams with the margin of victory in those six wins being nearly 25 points (+24.5).
LONGWOOD STARTERS#1Nik Brown, #12 Tristan Carey, #13 David Robinson, #14 Michael Kessens, #22 Jeylani Dublin
How It Happened
- Sophomore Treveon Graham and junior Juvonte Reddic got the VCU offense started quickly, combining to score the first nine points in the contest and giving the Rams a 9-0 lead just 1:31 into the game.
- VCU would extend that lead to 15 with a quick 7-0 run, capped off by a trey from freshman Melvin Johnson, which gave the Black & Gold a 29-14 cushion.
- The Rams would continue to pile on the offense with eight three-pointers in the first half to send VCU into the halftime break with a 50-31 advantage.
- Both teams started the second half on fire as the teams combined for a perfect 7-for-7 from the field and 2-of-2 from the charity line in the first two minutes of the second half as the lead remained at 19, 59-40.
- The Rams quickly made the Lancers aware there would be no upset in Richmond tonight, going on a 27-2 and VCU's biggest cushion of the day, 86-42
- VCU's lead would never shrink below 35 points as Daniels scored eight straight Rams point to lay the final nail in the coffin of the Lancers.
Beyond the Box Score
- VCU's consecutive sellout streak was extended to 25 after 7,693 came through the doors of the Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.
- The last 40 minutes that Darius Theus has played for the Black & Gold has seen the opposition score a total of 24 points.
- Theus' classmate, Troy Daniels, now ranks fourth in the country with 41 three-pointers on the slate.
- The 37 point victory is the largest margin for the Rams this season.