Tournament: UNCG Grandover Collegiate
Location: Greensboro, N.C. (Grandover Resort – East)
Course Info: Par 72, 7,245 yards
VCU finish: 10th (+60)
Top Ram: Kristian Tannum Donaldson T11th (+5)
The short story: Freshman Kristian Tannum Donaldson capped his impressive debut fall season with a hole-in-one and a top-15 finish to lead VCU at the UNCG Grandover Collegiate this weekend.
- Tannum Donaldson shot 5-over (76-72-73=221) for the weekend to tie for 11th place among a competitive field that included top-30 squads North Carolina, Duke and N.C. State.
- A freshman from Buckinghamshire, England, Tannum Donaldson weathered an up-and-down final round Sunday that included two birdies, a triple bogey and a hole-in-one. Tannum Donaldson holed his tee shot on No. 7, a 190-yard par 3.
- In his last three tournaments, Tannum Donaldson has placed 12th, 18th and 11th, respectively.
- Overall, VCU placed 10th (+60) among the field. Northwestern (+9) took home the team trophy, followed by North Carolina (+11), Duke (+15) and N.C. State (+26).
- Freshman Sachin Kumar (+18) placed 54th for VCU, while senior Alister Balcombe (+20) was 59th.
T11-Kristian Tannum Donaldson (76-72-73=221)
T54-Sachin Kumar (81-75-78=234)
T59-Alister Balcombe (77-81-78=236)
T63-Daniel Stamper (78-84-76=238)
T63-Osama Khan (80-84-74=238)
53-Alston Newsom (79-80-74=233)
INSIDE THE SCORECARD
- Tannum Donaldson's success hinged largely on his play on par 3 holes. The freshman was 4-under on par 3s during the tournament, which was tied for tops in the field. He recorded two eagles on the weekend, including his hole-in-one.
- Senior Osama Khan led VCU with six birdies in the tournament, while Tannum Donaldson registered a team-high 36 pars.
VCU has completed its 2017 fall schedule. The Rams will return to the competitive links on Feb. 19, 2018 when they begin play in the A-10 Match Play Championship in Weston Hills, Fla.