Tournament: Bank of Tennessee at Blackthorn
Location: Jonesboro, Tenn. (Blackthorn Club at The Ridges)
Course info: Par 72, 7,147 Yards
VCU finish: 12th of 15 (+10)
Top Ram: Kristian Tannum Donaldson T18th (-3)
The short story: Reigning Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Week Kristian Tannum Donaldson booked his second straight top-20 effort to lead VCU at the Bank of Tennessee at Blackthorn over the weekend.
- Tannam Donaldson (72-72-69) shot a 3-under 69 in Sunday's final round to cap a steady performance. He fired five birdies Sunday, which allowed him to vault 14 spots on the leaderboard.
- Another newcomer, senior transfer Daniel Stamper, shot 73-72-73 to place 43rd for the Rams.
- VCU (+10) placed 12th among a field that included top-50 teams Missouri (7), Tennessee (13), Kent State (17), Louisville (45) and Penn State (47).
- Penn State (-31) raced out to an early lead and held on for the team title. Kent State (-22), Louisville (-21), Missouri (-18) and Coastal Carolina (-12) rounded out the top five.
- VCU senior Alister Balcombe overcame a 79 in Friday's opening round and shot 69 and 74 in the second and third rounds, respectively. He tied for 51st overall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU, led by Balcombe's 3-under 69, recorded a season-low round of 283 during Saturday's second round.
- The Rams led the field with 175 pars. Tannum Donaldson accounted for 40 of those, while Stamper registered par on 37 on his 54 holes.
- Tannum Donaldson has recorded par of better in each of his last six rounds.
T18-Kristian Tannum Donaldson 72-72-69=213
T43-Daniel Stamper 73-72-73=218
T51-Alister Balcombe 79-69-74=222
T59-Sachin Kumar 78-70-75=223
T75-Osama Khan 77-76-75=228
VCU will finish the fall portion of its schedule when it heads to the UNC Grandover Collegiate Oct. 28-29 at Grandover Resort in Greensboro, N.C.