Tournament: Janney Invitational
Location: Richmond, Va. (Country Club of Virginia – Tuckahoe Creek)
Course info: 6,927 yards, Par 72
VCU finish: 8th of 12
Top Ram: Alister Balcombe (-7), T6th
The short story: Alister Balcombe continued his strong start to his senior season, booking a top-10 finish to pace host VCU at its annual Janney Shootout at the Country Club of Virginia's Tuckahoe Creek Course.
- Balcome fired a 5-under 67 in Tuesday's final round on the way to a share of sixth place in the 72-man field. He was 7-under for the 54-hole tournament. It's Balcombe's second straight finish inside the top 15. He placed 12th at the Turning Stone Tiger Invitational two weeks ago.
- A senior from England, Balcombe overcame a pair of early bogeys Tuesday and closed the back nine in 32. He shot 68-74-67 in his three rounds this week and recorded his fourth top-10 finish in two seasons at VCU.
- VCU was a combined 1-under Tuesday and placed eighth at 1-over. West Virginia (-22) collected the team title, while Virginia Tech (-14) and Maryland (-13) rounded out the top three.
- Rutgers' Oliver Whatley (-10), playing as an individual, led the tournament wire-to-wire to claim individual medalist honors.
- Osama Khan, Daniel Stamper and Kristian Tannum Donaldson all finished 3-over to tie for 35th to round out VCU's top four.
INSIDE THE SCORECARD
- Balcombe's final-round 67 tied his best score since joining the Rams last season. He did his most damage this week on par 4 holes, where he shot 4-under. Balcombe also tied for the field lead with 14 birdies this week. He has recorded 23 birdies in two tournaments this fall.
- Stamper, a transfer from Alcorn State, continued his strong early play this week. He ranked third in the Janney field in par 3 scoring (2.92).
T6-Alister Balcombe 68-74-67=209
T35-Osama Khan 73-73-73-219
T35-Daniel Stamper 74-72-73=219
T35-Kristian Tannum Donaldson 72-73-74=219
T43-Sachin Kumar 73-74-74=221
T52-Alston Newsom 72-72-80=224
T69-Errol Clarke 77-74-80=231
VCU returns to the links Oct. 7-8 at the Tar Heel Intercollegiate in Chapel Hill, N.C.