Tournament: Atlantic 10 Conference Championships
Location: Orlando, Fla. (Cyress Golf Club)
Course info: Par 72, 6794 yards
VCU finish: 2nd (-11)
Top Ram: Alister Balcombe, T-2nd (-7)
The short story: VCU's string of three straight Atlantic 10 Championships may have ended Sunday, but junior Alister Balcombe and senior Jamie Clare finished with a flash. Both players scored top-10 finishes to lead the Rams to second at the A-10 Championships at Cypress Golf Club.
- Balcombe, who began the day in ninth place, shot up the leaderboard with a blistering back nine. The junior transfer from Iowa Western fired five of his seven birdies on the day in the final nine holes on the way to a 5-under 67.
- Balcombe's 67 on Sunday matched his best round as a Ram, and his second place finish is his best this year. The Cleyedon, England native has recorded three top-10 finishes this season.
- Richmond, which entered the day with an eight-stroke lead, did not falter. The Spiders combined for the day's best round (279) and finished 24-under for the tournament. VCU was 4-under Sunday and 11-under for the weekend. Dayton (-10) and George Washington (-3) placed third and fourth, respectively.
- Senior Jamie Clare, who led the field through 36 holes, shot 75 Sunday. He tied for eighth at 4-under. Clare has placed inside the top 10 at the A-10 Championships in back-to-back years. He was sixth last season.
- Senior Hanish Nagrani fired his best competition round of year Sunday. He birdied six times on the way to a 3-under 69. He placed 16th alongside teammate Enej Sarkanj at 1-over for the tournament.
- Clare was named to the All-Atlantic 10 Conference Team Sunday, his second straight All-Conference citation in three seasons.
- VCU golfers combined for 22 birdies Sunday and finished the tournament with 55, third-most in the field.
- The Rams were also the league's best par 3 scoring team. VCU averaged 3.13 strokes on those holes behind the efforts of Clare (3.00) and Balcombe (3.00).
- In five seasons since joining the A-10, VCU has won three league championships and placed second twice.
VCU's 2016-17 season is complete.