RAMS CAPTURE SECOND WIN OF 2013-14; BALL JR. FOURTH
Tournament: Whiting-Turner Towson Invite
Location: 1st Round - Hog Neck Golf Course (Easton, Md.) and 2nd Round - Prospect Bay Country Club (Grasonville, Md.)
VCU finish: 1st of 22
Top individual: Matt Ball Jr., 4th (+5)
- Senior Matt Ball Jr. finished 5-over (74-75=149) to tie for fourth and lead VCU to a 5-stroke win at the rain-shortened Whiting-Turner Towson Invitational Tuesday.
- The victory is VCU's second of the 2013-14 campaign. The Rams claimed the ODU/Outer Banks Collegiate in October.
- VCU (+22) entered the day two strokes behind leader Fairleigh Dickinson, but shot 297 as a team Tuesday and assumed control midway through the final round. FDU (+27) placed second, followed by Northern Colorado (+30) and Seton Hall and Towson (tie, +36).
- In all, three Rams recorded top-15 finishes. In addition to Ball Jr., freshman Enej Sarkanj (+6), a two-time A-10 Rookie of the Week honoree, tied for sixth, while senior Rocky Khara (+7) tied for 12th. Sophomores Steffen Harm and Adam Ball were 33rd and 52nd, respectively, for VCU.
- Khara shot 73 in Tuesday's final round to pace VCU. He recorded four birdies Tuesday, including one No. 18, a mammoth 608-yard, par 5, to help VCU hang on for victory.
- The Tournament was originally scheduled as a 54-hole event, but play was postponed Sunday amid heavy rains in the area.
"Just the biggest thing today was we had more depth than everybody else. Definitely a team effort. All five guys counted. We've got seven guys that are in it to play every time. We do have depth. We’re not showing moments of brilliance, but for the most part, it's really consistent across the board. There’s not a guy on the the roster that’s not valuable to us that can’t contribute." -- Head Coach Matt Ball.
- The Rams have won multiple tournaments in a season for the first time since the 2008-09 campaign, when they captured three, including the Colonial Athletic Association Championship.
- VCU has finished in the top five in five of its nine tournaments in 2013-14.
The Rams will head to Wallace, N.C. April 11-12 for the River Landing Intercollegiate. It will be VCU's final stroke play tune-up for the Atlantic 10 Championships, which will be held April 25-27.