Score: VCU 3, No. 11 ODU 2
Location: Norfolk, Va. (L.R. Hill Sports Complex)
Records: VCU (5-3, 2-0 A-10), No. 11 ODU (7-2, 1-1 Big East)
Short Story: Litiana Field scored the game-winning goal in the 58th minute and the Rams held off No. 11 Old Dominion for their first win over a ranked opponent since a 2009 win vs. No. 17 Iowa.
- Shannon Pereira scored a goal and had one assist.
- Emily McNamara scored one goal on her lone shot attempt.
- Litiana Field had two shot attempts and scored one goal.
- Maite Sturm recorded an assist and one shot attempt.
- VCU and ODU were tied 9-9 in shot attempts with the Rams holding a slight 6-5 edge in shots on goal.
- ODU held a 7-5 edge in penalty corners.
- Sasha Elliot made three saves in the cage for VCU.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU struck first in the 12th minute as Pereira collected a rebound off a Svea Sturm shot attempt and tapped the ball into an open goal.
- ODU tied the game 1-1 as Erin Huffman scored in the 28th minute after flicking the ball in the air and hitting it past Elliot.
- The Rams took the lead again less than two minutes into the second half as McNamara collected a pass from Pereira and shielded a defender before scoring in the lower left corner.
- The Monarchs answered in the 55th minute to tie the game 2-2 as Rebecca Birch scored off a penalty corner.
- VCU took the lead for good as Field scored in the 58th minute on a penalty corner after her shot deflected into the goal off an ODU defender.
- The Rams' defense didn't allow a shot on goal for the final 22:08 of the contest.
VCU travels to St. Francis (Pa.) for a 3 p.m. match on Sept. 28.