Score: VCU 5, Villanova 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU 2-0, Villanova 0-2
Short Story: VCU's Svea Sturm scored two goals in the first 2:18 of the contest as the Rams were able to build on their early lead and dismantle the Wildcats in the 5-1 victory.
- Emily McNamara scored two goals and added one assist. McNamara had a team-high five shot attempts with four on goal.
- Svea Sturm scored two goals and was second on the team with three shot attempts.
- Chessa Kownurko made 10 saves in the cage for VCU including a save on a penalty stroke. She has saved both penalty stroke attempts taken against her this season.
- Maite Sturm also scored one goal for the Rams.
- Spencer Tossone and Natalie Bohmke each added one assist on McNamara's penalty corner goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored first after Svea Sturm collected the rebound from Emily McNamara's shot and put it past goalkeeper Erika Miller for a 1-0 lead just 1:05 into the game.
- She doubled her tally just over a minute later and gave the Rams a 2-0 lead after McNamara played a ball across the face of the goal for Svea to tap it in at the back post.
- The Wildcats got back within 2-1 in the 25th minute as Megan Vermeil scored off a stick stop from Abby Siana on a penalty corner.
- The Rams responded with their own penalty corner as Tossone fed the ball to Bohmke who stick stopped the ball for McNamara as her shot powered past Miller to make the scored 3-1 at halftime.
- McNamara scored her second of the game to make the score 4-1 in the 46th minute after she received the ball, eluded the goalkeeper and scored into an open net.
- The Rams closed the scoring as Maite Sturm found the top left corner of the goal in the 49th minute to make it 5-1.
The Rams will play their first road contest at 6 p.m. on Sept. 1 at Longwood.