November 3, 2013
DEMASI’S OVERTIME GOAL GIVES RAMS THRILLING 3-2 WIN OVER LA SALLE
- Score: VCU 3, La Salle 2 – Final (OT)
- Records: VCU (10-9, 4-3 A-10), La Salle (5-14, 1-6 A-10)
- Location: Cary Street Field – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Senior Stephanie DeMasi capped off Senior Day in dramatic fashion, deflecting in a shot from Kendell Combs just over five minutes into overtime to give the VCU Field Hockey team a thrilling 3-2 win over La Salle. The victory secured a spot at next weekend's Atlantic 10 Tournament in Amherst, Mass. Senior Emilie Soares and freshman Alexis Schramm added goals in the victory.
How It Happened
- The first half featured chances by both sides, but the defense units led the way, keeping both offenses off the scoreboard to send the game into halftime scoreless.
- The Rams started to turn the tide coming out of the half aggressive and drawing two corners in the first 10 minutes of the stanza. On the second corner, DeMasi inserted the corner to junior Nicole Barry, who stopped it for Combs. Combs slipped it to Schramm, who's blast was deflected by Soares into the back of the cage for 1 -0 in the 46th minute.
- La Salle wouldn't go away, continuing to pressure the Rams, but Megan Botteri and the Rams' backline continued to turn away the Explorers.
- However, things changed in the 60th minute when La Salle's Devin Muracco slipped a pass in front of the net for Mariel Papa, who found the back of the cage to even the score at 1-1.
- Less than two minutes later, Papa struck again, this time off a feed from Abbey Lawrence to give the Explorers a 2-1 lead with less than nine minutes to play.
- After VCU called timeout, the Rams gained composure and a nice play inside the circle by Soares drew a corner in the 67th minute. Like early in the game, DeMasi inserted to Barry, who stopped it for Combs, who slipped it to Schramm. This time the freshman did it herself, blasting a shot into the back of the cage to even the score at 2-2.
- Five minutes into overtime, the Rams would get an attack down the right side as Soares sped down the sideline, but a long pass looked like it would go out of bounds, but Combs ran it down and earned a corner. DeMasi would end the day in jubilation when she deflected Combs' shot off the corner to give VCU the 3-2 victory.
- "It was a tremendous back and forth battle the entire 70-plus minutes today. To come back from 2-1 down with eight minutes left showed great resilience and was a great way to celebrate our senior class. We're excited about the opportunity to play for an Atlantic 10 Championship next weekend" – Head Coach Laura Baker
- "Today's game was such an incredible way to finish my last home game at Cary Street Field. I am so proud of the way we responded to being down and never giving up. We controlled our destiny and I am looking forward to the conference tournament. We are ready." – Senior Steph DeMasi
- The Rams will now head to the conference tournament for the third time in the past four years. VCU will face top-seeded and 12th-ranked UMass on Friday afternoon at 2 p.m. in Amherst.