Sep 15, 2013
- Score: Liberty 5, VCU 2
- Records: Liberty (3-2), VCU (2-3)
- Location: Cary Street Field – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Sophomore Kendell Combs and senior Emilie Soares tallied goals, but it wasn't enough as Liberty scored five second-half goals en route to a 5-2 defeat of the VCU field hockey squad. The Rams held the potent Flames offense at bay for the first 40 minutes, but Liberty came alive for five goals in the games final 30 minutes.
How It Happened
- Liberty would get some pressure on VCU early, but stellar play by junior defender Nicole Barry and sophomore goalkeeper Kendall Clifton kept the game scoreless.
- Soares nearly put the Rams on top in the 23rd minute when she took a great feed from freshman Alexis Schramm and sped into the right side of the circle, but the Flames keeper was able to turn her away and keep the game scoreless.
- VCU would close out the first stanza strong with two corners in the final minute with the final chance resulting in a blast from Combs into the top left corner, thanks to a beautiful setup by Stephanie DeMasi and Erika Bienlien, to send the Rams into halftime with a 1-0 lead.
- Liberty would turn the tide after the break, ramping up their pressure, which resulted in three goals in just over six minutes of action to quickly take a 3-1 lead.
- The Black & Gold would show life in the 61st minute when Kendall Farino picked up a loose ball deep in Liberty territory and ripped a shot into the circle, which Soares tipped past Flames keeper Ann Jefferis to bring the Rams within one at 3-2.
- However, Liberty would respond as Natalie Barr scored for the second time on the afternoon in the 64th minute to push it to 4-2. The Flames added one more in the final two minutes to end the scoring for the afternoon.
- "Today's loss was a tough one against a very good Liberty team. We played well in the first half and finished the half strong with Kendell's goal. However, the second half, while we fought hard, our fundamentals let us down. We made a few too many mistakes and had too many chances in the circle that we didn't finish. We have to become better in those areas." – Head Coach Laura Baker
- "Tomorrow starts a new week for VCU Field Hockey and we have to turn our focus and preparation for our two games this week. We are fully locked in on JMU on Wednesday and UNC on Sunday" – Baker
- VCU makes the trek up I-64 west to take on former CAA foe James Madison. Game time on Wednesday is set for 7 p.m.