September 6, 2013
FOUR DIFFERENT RAMS SCORE TO LEAD VCU PAST PACIFIC, 4-2
- Score: VCU 4, Pacific 2
- Records: VCU (1-1), Pacific (0-3)
- Location: Varsity Turf – Palo Alto, Calif.
- The Basics: Four different players scored, including the first collegiate goals for freshmen Krystal Mayers and Alexis Schramm, to lead the VCU Field Hockey team to its first victory of the year, 4-2 over Pacific. Seniors Kelsey Powell and Kayla Mueller also scored on the afternoon to help earn Head Coach Laura Baker her first career coaching victory.
How It Happened
- Jet lag apparently didn't set in right away for the Rams as Powell helped VCU get on the board early, cleaning up a rebound off a shot from Kendell Combs and putting it in the cage for a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute.
- Combs would continue to put pressure on the Tigers in the first half, but the game remained 1-0 until Pacific scored off a corner with just 13 seconds remaining in the first half.
- Pacific would keep momentum on their side in the second half when Melissa Maultsby took an assist from Emily Tregoning and put the Tigers up 2-1 in the 39th minute.
- Just over five minutes later, Mueller evened things up when she converted a penalty corner with the help of classmate Stephanie DeMasi.
- Senior Emilie Soares enjoyed her homecoming, helping VCU take the lead for good in the 48th minute. The California native found Mayers inside the circle and the freshman sent it home to give the Rams a 3-2 lead.
- Soares and redshirt freshman Erika Bienlien connected to set up Schramm in the 58th minute to help the Rams seal the 4-2 victory.
Beyond the Boxscore
- DeMasi's assist pushed her career total to 22, just two shying of tying the all-time program record of 24, held by Stephanie Whitlow and Kelsey Scherrer.
- Mueller and Powell both equaled their career goal totals on the afternoon as both seniors entered the day with one goal each.
- Schramm and Mayers became the first freshmen duo to score in the same game in four years. Rachell Whitt and Emilie Soares each scored in a victory over Hofstra on October 3, 2010.
- "Today wasn't our greatest hockey overall. We are a young team and we have a long way to go, but I'm very proud of the girls for finishing the game and pulling off the win. Congrats to Alexis and Krystal for their first career goals at VCU, we hope it's the first of many." – Head Coach Laura Baker
- "We started off a little shaky in the first half, but I'm really proud of the way we pulled together in the second half and found our heart. Getting this first win today gives us some momentum going into a tough game on Sunday against Stanford." – Senior Emilie Soares (two assists)
- "We went out knowing what we had to do and focused on playing VCU hockey. We really came together in the second half and gained momentum after our second goal, which ultimately carried us to the win." – Senior Kelsey Powell (first goal of the game)
- VCU takes on 12th-ranked Stanford on Sunday afternoon. Game time in Palo Alto is set for 2 p.m. PST/5 p.m. EST.