August 24, 2013
RAMS TAKE HOME 1-0 OVERTIME WIN OVER DAVIDSON IN EXHIBITION ACTION
- Score: VCU 1, Davidson 0 (Overtime) – Exhibition
- Location: Belk Turf Field – Davidson, N.C.
- The Short Story: VCU's defensive prowess was on display all afternoon long and senior Emilie Soares found the back of the cage in overtime to give the Rams a 1-0 victory in its only exhibition game prior to the start of the regular season.
- The contest was played in three 25-minute periods, in which the Rams played well, transitioning up the field and creating some good chances, but were unable to find the back of the cage.
- The two teams then played a 15-minute overtime, in which VCU was in the attacking end for the majority of the time. The game's lone goal game off an initial shot from Kendell Combs that was blocked, Soares found the rebound and found the back of the cage.
- The two teams also did a round of shootouts, which the Wildcats won 3-1.
- "Overall I am very proud of the way the team played today. I thought we played as one cohesive unit for the majority of the game and it was a great way to start our season off."
- "Our main focus for this next week is going to be working on our fundamental skills. It was the final touches or passes that let us down today and we need to improve on these to help our overall play."
- "Though we created many chances on attack we need to be more clinical in the circle and hungry to score goals."
- The Rams open up their regular season on Sunday, Sept. 1st in a 1 p.m. showdown at William & Mary.