Score: VCU 1, Lock Haven 0
Location: Smith Field –Lock Haven, Pa.
The Short Story: The Rams dominated possession throughout and picked up the game-winning goal in the 64th minute when senior Kelsey Scherrer fed classmate Meaghan Neylon for the only goal of the contest as VCU picked up the 1-0 win. It was VCU's 10th victory of the year and first-ever Atlantic 10 conference win.
VCU STARTERS: #1 Megan Botteri (GK), #2 Kelsey Scherrer, #4 Stephanie DeMasi, #5 Emilie Soares, #7 Chelsea Hill, #12 Melanie Marotta, #16 Arialle Hess, #17 Meaghan Neylon, #19 Kacie Yang, #22 Kendell Combs, #24 Nicole Barry
LOCK HAVEN STARTERS: #99 Elaina White (GK), #2 Nikki Weaknecht, #3 Taylor Kennedy, #8 Megan Evans, #10 Kelly Harsh, #11 Teresa Lezama, #12 Nakira Downes, #15 Stephanie Ebersole, #19 Kimberly Mooney, #22 Jennifer Felice, #23 Brittney Hickernell
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kelsey Scherrer would test Lock Haven early with two shots on target in the first 10 minutes, but both were turned away as the game remained scoreless for the entire first half.
- VCU would pick up the pressure in the second half with three penalty corners in the first 15 minutes, but again the Lady Eagles would deny each one and keep the game knotted up at 0-0.
- Scherrer and the Rams would continue to the aggressor with multiple shots on goal, but each time Lock Haven's keeper Elaina White came up with the save as the game entered the final 15 minutes.
- Lock Haven would regroup after a timeout and rattle off four straight penalty corners but junior Megan Botteri and the VCU defense was there to keep the game scoreless.
- The Rams would strike gold in the 64th minute when Scherrer set up classmate Meaghan Neylon off another penalty corner. Neylon took Scherrer's pass on the left side of the circle and blasted it home for her fourth goal of the year.
- VCU would control possession the rest of the way, preserving the 1-0 road victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The 10 wins marks just the third time in the past 20 years that VCU has reached double-digits in victories.
- Senior Meaghan Neylon now has four goals on the year, which is double her career total entering this season.
- Senior Kelsey Scherrer is now just two assists away from tying the school's all-time assists record, currently held by Stephanie Whitlow (24 career assists), who played for the Rams from 1991-94.
- Scherrer now has 33 points on the year, which is already the sixth-highest single-season total in school history.
- Junior netminder Megan Botteri had two saves en route to her second shutout of the year.
Head Coach Shannon Karl
- "As a staff, we're proud of our team's effort today on the road. We were happy with the fact that we took 11 shots in the match and will continue to focus on finishing in our attacking end as we move forward. We now turn our attention to our next opponent, La Salle, in another critical conference match on the road."
Senior midfielder Melanie Marotta
- "Today was a must-win game and I think the entire team did a great job bringing a high level of energy from the start. We really played as a team and were able to put together a full 70 minutes of hockey. We continued to play calm, controlled hockey and eventually got the goal that we needed."
- VCU stays on the road for a Sunday showdown in the City of Brotherly Love with the Explorers of La Salle. Game time is set for 12 p.m.