Score: VCU 2, Liberty 1
Location: Liberty Field Hockey Field - Lynchburg, Va.
The Short Story: Senior Kelsey Scherrer and sophomore Kendell Combs scored first-half goals to lead VCU to a 2-1 road victory over Liberty. The win marks just the fourth time in the past 20 years that the Rams have posted nine or more wins in a season.
VCU STARTERS: #1 Megan Botteri (GK), #2 Kelsey Scherrer, #4 Stephanie DeMasi, #5 Emilie Soares, #6 Kendall Farino, #7 Chelsea Hill, #12 Melanie Marotta, #16 Arialle Hess, #19 Kacie Yang, #23 Haley McBee, #24 Nicole Barry
LIBERTY STARTERS: #72 Mallory Cuccio (GK), #2 Hannah Doherty, #6 Emily Dinsmore, #8 Hannah Jones, #10 Megan Johnson, #11 Helen Doolittle, #14 Sarah Gipe, #15 Erin Dombach, #17 Ashlee Krulock, #19 Natalie Barr, #21 Abbey Basom
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Haley McBee didn't wait long to put pressure on the Flames, unleashing a near goal just 2:42 into the game, but Liberty keeper Mallory Cuccio came up with the save.
- The Rams would strike first in the 15th minute when senior Meaghan Neylon fed a beautiful pass to sophomore Kendell Combs, who found the back of the cage for the first time this season to give VCU a 1-0 cushion.
- The action would stay in the midfield until right before half when senior Kelsey Scherrer dribbled into the circle and rocketed a shot into the back of the cage to send the Rams into halftime with a 2-0 advantage.
- Liberty would come out aggressive in the second half and found the back of the cage just seven minutes into the stanza with Hannah Doherty scoring her third goal of the year.
- It looked like the Rams had put the nail in the coffin with just over five minutes left when Stephanie DeMasi tipped in a shot off a penalty corner, but it was called back with the ref saying the ball never left the circle.
- VCU's midfield and defense would do their job the rest of the way, allowing just one Liberty shot in the final 25 minutes.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The win marks just the fourth time in the past 20 years that VCU has posted nine or more wins in a season
- Six of VCU's nine wins have come away from home.
- Scherrer has now scored a goal in 10 of VCU's 12 games. Her 12 goals on the year are currently tied for seventh-most in a single-season in school history.
- Combs' first-half goal was her first of her sophomore season.
Head Coach Shannon Karl
"Today was a tough road match against a very well-coached and energetic Liberty squad. As a staff, we're proud of our team's determination and ability to bounce back. We will now turn our focus and attention to a very talented conference opponent in Richmond. We look forward to playing in front of a home crowd at Cary Street Field on Friday.
- The Rams return home to face-off against cross-town rival and A10 preseason favorite Richmond on Friday. Game time at Cary Street Field is set for 5 p.m.