Score: Temple 2, VCU 1
Location: Geasey Field - Philadelphia, Pa.
The Short Story: After Temple scored an early goal, the Rams battled back all game and struck gold in the final five minutes with a great goal off a penalty corner. Unfortunately, VCU was dealt heartbreak when the Owls found the back of the cage with less than two minutes to play, holding on to win 2-1 in the Atlantic 10 opener for both teams.
VCU STARTERS: #1 Megan Botteri (GK), #2 Kelsey Scherrer, #4 Stephanie DeMasi, #6 Kendall Farino, #7 Chelsea Hill, #12 Melanie Marotta, #16 Arialle Hess, #17 Meaghan Neylon, #19 Kacie Yang, #23 Haley McBee, #24 Nicole Barry
TEMPLE STARTERS: #00 Lizzy Millen (GK), #1 Amber Youtz, #5 Sarah Deck, #7 Alyssa Delp, #8 Mandi Shearer, #17 Nicole Kroener, #18 Rachel Steinman, #22 Taylor Shronk, #23 Molly Doyle, #29 Lauren Hunt, #35 Katie Briglia
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Temple jumped right out of the gates with Nicole Kroener, the A-10 assist leader, finding Amber Youtz just inside the circle for the game's first goal, 5:37 into the match.
- The rest of the half wouldn't see much action around the cage with both teams getting off just two more shots, both of VCU's being on target, but Temple keeper Lizzy Millen was able to turn both away.
- The second half started much like the first ended with the midfield getting most of the action.
- However, that all changed in the final 10 minutes, beginning with Temple firing off four shots in a two minute span, but VCU keeper Megan Botteri was able to keep it a one-goal game.
- Botteri's work allowed the Rams offense to draw a penalty corner with 65:53 showing on the clock. The Black & Gold made it count with Steph DeMasi and Chelsea Hill setting up Kelsey Scherrer for her 11th goal of the year to even the score at 1-1 with under four minutes to play.
- Heartbreak would strike when the Owls answered with a goal just over two minutes later (68:18) off the stick of Lauren Hunt. It would prove to be the decisive one as Temple held on for the 2-1 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The match was the first-ever A-10 conference game for the Black & Gold.
- Scherrer has now scored in nine of VCU's 11 games this year.
- Scherrer's 11 goals ranks second in the A-10, only behind Loutz of Temple, who scored her 14th goal of the year in the game.
Associate Head Coach Laura Baker
"Today's game was a heartbreaking loss. The girls fought back to tie it up with a great corner late in the game. However, the time right after a goal is scored can be the most vulnerable, and unfortunately today we and we did not do our job at protecting the goal. Regardless of the result, we worked hard as a team and look forward to a continued effort in Sunday's match-up against Liberty."
- The Rams stay on the road on Sunday with an in-state match-up at Liberty. Game time against the Flames is set for 2 p.m.