Final Score: VCU 9, GMU 4
Location: Fairfax, Va. (Spuhler Field)
Records: VCU (37-17, 17-5 A-10), GMU (19-33, 5-17 ACC)
The Short Story: VCU defeated GMU 9-4 on Thursday behind an all-around solid performance. Brett Norwood's Grand Slam highlighted today's contest.
- Brett Norwood led the way for the Rams offensively, posting three hits in five at-bats, a team-leading five RBIs, two runs scored, and a Grand Slam
- Liam Hibbits and Zac Ching posted a combined two hits, two runs scored and two RBIs on Thursday
- Steven Carpenter and Jack Schroeder combined for three hits, four runs scored, and two RBIs in the win
- Connor Gillispie picked up his fifth win of the season, while Sam Ryan earned his seventh save.
- The Rams duo struck out 10 batters along the way.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the first run of the game in the top of the second, after Carpenter homered to left center. The play put the Rams on top 1-0 early.
- Brett Norwood's RBI single to right center plated Schroeder in the top of the third. Moments later, Liam Hibbits recorded his 60th RBI of the season after driving in Norwood and Ching to extend the Rams lead to 4-0.
- GMU trimmed the Rams lead to 4-2 in the bottom of the third after L. Driscoll homered to left field.
- Schroeder's RBI double in the top of the fourth scored Carpenter and pushed VCU's lead to 5-2.
- Norwood made the play of the game when he stepped to the plate in the top of the sixth. With the bases loaded, he uncorked a bomb to right center to record a Rams Grand Slam. The play left VCU up 9-2 heading into the bottom half of the inning.
- B. Acker's two run homer in the bottom of the sixth trimmed the Rams lead to 9-4.
- VCU's defense, led by Ryan, shut GMU down in the seventh thru ninth innings, allowing no runs to score to preserve a 9-4 victory.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, May 17, for Game Two of their final weekend series of the season with A-10 foe George Mason. That matchup is slated for 3:00 p.m. at Spuhler Field in Fairfax, Va.