Final Score: Richmond 5, VCU 4
Location: Richmond, Va. (Pitt Field)
Records: VCU (28-12, 11-4 A-10), Richmond (20-16-1, 7-5 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU fells to Richmond, 5-4, in extra innings on Sunday. The loss moved the Rams to 11-4 in conference play which still ranks first in the Atlantic 10.
- Brett Norwood led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits, two runs scored, two RBIs and his third homerun of the season.
- Paul Witt added two hits and one RBI on Sunday
- Liam Hibbits and Hogan Brown combined for four hits, one run scored and one RBI
- The Rams bullpen totaled nine strikeouts vs Richmond
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Richmond scored the first two runs of the game in the bottom of the first on Forte's two run homerun. The play put the Spiders up 2-0 heading into the second inning.
- Brett Norwood tied the game at 2-2 after his two run shot to left center scored Zac Ching in the process. The homerun was the third for Norwood this season.
- VCU's defense, led by Justin Sorokowski, shut the Spiders down in the second through fourth innings, allowing no runs to score to keep the game tied at 2-2.
- The Rams took their first lead of the game in the top of the fifth after Paul Witt and Liam Hibbits RBIs drove Hogan Brown and Brett Norwood home. The plays put VCU on top 4-2 heading into the bottom half of the inning.
- Richmond tied the game at 4-4 in the bottom of the fifth on scores by Lee and Hipsman.
- Evan Chenier and Ben Dum combined to shut the Spiders down in the sixth through tenth innings, allowing no runs to score.
- The Spiders scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the eleventh after Schmidt scored to steal a 5-4 win.
VCU will be back in action on Tuesday, April 23, a mid-week matchup with Maryland. That matchup is slated for 4 p.m. in College Park, Md.