Final Score: ODU 7, VCU 5
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (27-10, 10-2 A-10), ODU (22-14, 5-10 C-USA)
The Short Story: The Rams ninth inning rally came up just short in their 7-5 loss to ODU on Tuesday.
- Steven Carpenter led the way for the Rams offensively, posting one hit, one run scored, and two RBIs for the Rams
- Hogan Brown added one hit, one run scored and one RBI on Tuesday
- Brandon Henson and Paul Witt combined for two hits, two runs scored and one RBI in the loss
- The Rams bullpen totaled six strikeouts vs ODU
HOW IT HAPPENED
- ODU scored the first run of the game after Pasquantino homered down the right field line. The play put the Monarchs on top 1-0 early.
- The Rams tied the game in the bottom half of the first after Paul Witt's RBI plated Hogan Brown and knotted the game at 1-1.
- ODU took a 3-1 lead after scoring a run in the second and third inning respectively.
- VCU's defense, led by Dum, shut the Monarchs down in the fourth through eighth innings, allowing no runs to score during that stretch.
- The Rams took a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the seventh after Brown, Simon and Carpenter each recorded RBIs Witt, Hibbits, Henson and Carpenter.
- ODU took the lead for good in the top of the eighth, scoring four runs to steal a 7-5 win over the Rams.
- VCU's ninth inning rally came up just short, as the Rams left two men on base in the inning.
VCU will be back in action on Friday, April 19, for Game One of their weekend series with cross town rival and A-10 foe Richmond. That matchup is slated for 3 p.m. in Richmond, Va.