Final Score: VCU 28, La Salle 4
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hank DeVincent Field)
Records: VCU (25-7, 8-1 A-10), La Salle (15-17, 1-8 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU dominated La Salle 28-4 on Sunday to sweep the weekend series. The win marked the Rams sixth straight victory and eleventh win in their last twelve outings.
- The Rams scored their most runs (28) in a game since Feb. 29, 2004 when they beat Fairleigh Dickinson 29-2. VCU also hit a season-high five homeruns in the game
- Zac Ching led the way for the Rams offensively, batting for a complete cycle. He finished the game with four hits, three RBIs, a team-leading five runs scored, and his fifth homerun of the season
- Brandon Henson added two hits, four RBIs, two runs scored and two homeruns on Sunday
- Jack Schroeder posted three hits, three runs score, a team-leading five RBIs and a homerun vs La Salle
- Steven Carpenter contributed four hits, four runs scored, one RBI and his first homerun of the season for the Rams
- Devin Dunn earned his first win of the season, while the Rams bullpen struck out five batters in the win.
- The Rams totaled a season-high 27 hits on Sunday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the first few runs of the game in the top of the first after Ching's RBI triple plated Hogan Brown. Moments later, Paul Witt's RBI drove Ching home to give the Rams an early 2-0 lead.
- The Rams got the bats going in the top of the second after Schroeder homered down the left field line to score Josh Simon. A few play later, Ching scored on Liam Hibbits RBI to push the lead to 5-0. Shortly after, Henson hit his first of two homeruns to drive Witt and Norwood home in the process. Josh Simon's RBI triple to center rounded out the Rams scoring in the inning and brought the score to 9-0.
- Ching's two run shot to left center extended VCU's lead after Hogan Brown scored on the play. VCU entered the bottom half of the inning leading 11-0.
- La Salle scored their first run of the game in the bottom of the third to cut VCU's lead to 11-1.
- Schroeder sparked another Rams rally in the top of the fourth, after his RBI single plated Carpenter. Witt followed that up with an RBI single of his own to allow Brown to score. A couple of plays later, Henson hit his second homer of the game to drive Witt home. Schroeder's second RBI single of the inning rounded out the top half of the inning and brought the score to 20-1.
- Ching and Witt scored in the top of the fifth on RBIs from Sanchez and Carpenter. VCU entered the sixth inning with a 22-1 advantage.
- The Rams continued to pile it on in the top of the sixth, after Andrew Puglielli doubled to left center to allow Heisler and Schroeder to score. Logan Amiss followed that up with an RBI of his own to drive Puglielli home. The plays extended VCU's lead to 25-1.
- Carpenter hit his first homerun of the season in the top of the seventh to push the Rams lead to 26-1.
- La Salle scored two runs in the bottom half of the seventh to trim VCU's lead to 26-3.
- VCU took a 28-3 lead in the top of the eighth after Logan Amiss's RBI triple scored Matt Stallings and Tomas Sanchez's RBI double scored Amiss.
- The Explorers scored the games final run in the bottom of the eighth to cut VCU's lead to 28-4.
VCU will be back in action on Tuesday, April 9, for a mid-week matchup with in-state rival ODU. That matchup is slated for 6 p.m., at Bud Metheny Baseball Complex in Norfolk, Va.