Final Score: VCU 13, Davidson 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (21-7, 5-1 A-10), Davison (14-9, 4-2 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU dominated Davidson 13-1 on Sunday to win the weekend series 2-1. Liam Hibbits homered twice in the win.
- Hibbits led the way for the Rams offensively, posting three hits in five at-bats, three runs scored, a team-leading five RBIs and two homeruns
- Brett Norwood chipped in three hits, four RBIs and a run scored in the win
- Logan Amiss provided three hits in four at-bats, two RBIs and two runs scored for the Rams
- Zac Ching and Paul Witt combined to post four hits, three runs scored and one RBI on Sunday
- Connor Gillispie earned his second win of the season, striking out 10 batters in just five innings pitched. The Rams bullpen struck out 16 batters overall in the win
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ching scored the first run of the game after Norwood's RBI single to center drove him home. The play put VCU up 1-0 early.
- The Rams pushed their lead to 4-0 in the bottom of the second on scores by Amiss, Taylor and Vay. Brown and Norwood were credited with RBIs on the plays.
- VCU's defense, led by Gillispie, shut Davidson down in the first through fourth innings, allowing no runs to maintain a comfortable lead.
- The Wildcats scored their first run of the game in the top of the fifth inning on a homerun by J. Lebek. The score trimmed VCU's lead to 4-1 heading into the bottom of the fifth.
- VCU extended its lead to 6-1 in the bottom of the fifth after Amiss doubled to left center to allow Hibbits and Henson to score.
- Hibbits 3-run homer in the bottom of the sixth scored Witt and Norwood to extend the Rams lead to 9-1.
- Hibbits hit his second homerun of the game in the bottom of the eighth inning to put VCU up 11-1. Paul Witt scored the run on the play.
- VCU scored two more runs in the bottom of the eighth after Sanchez and Amiss walked home to push the Rams lead to 13-1.
- The Rams shut Davidson down in the top of the ninth to effectively end the game.
VCU will be back in action on Tuesday, April 2, for a mid-week contest with Longwood. That matchup is slated for 6 p.m., at Charles "Buddy" Bolding Stadium in Farmville, Va.