Final Score: Davidson 3, VCU 2
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (19-7, 3-1 A-10), Davison (14-7, 4-0 A-10)
The Short Story: Davidson outlasted VCU 3-2 on Friday, handing the Rams their first conference loss of the season.
- Paul Witt led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits in four at-bats, two RBIs, one run scored and his second homerun of the season
- Hogan Brown and Steven Carpenter combined to post three hits in the loss
- Brett Norwood chipped in one hit and one run scored for the Rams
- The Rams bullpen struck out eleven batters on Friday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Davidson scored the game's opening run in the top of the second on a score by Centracchio. The play put the Wildcats up 1-0 early.
- R. Fontes homer to right center in the top of the fourth extended Davidson's lead to 2-0.
- VCU tied the game in the bottom of the fourth after Paul Witt's shot to left center scored Brett Norwood as well. The play brought the score to an even 2-2 heading into the top of the fifth.
- The Wildcats retook the lead at 3-2 in the top of the fifth, after Candelaria scored on A. Mardiney's RBI.
- VCU's defense, led by Dum, shut the Wildcats down in innings sixth through nine, allowing no runs to keep the score within striking distance.
- The Rams late rally came up just short in the loss, despite posting two hits in the final inning.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, March 30, for Game Two of their weekend series with Atlantic 10 opponent Davidson. That matchup is slated for 2 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.