Final Score: VCU 15, VMI 2
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (19-6, 3-0 A-10), VMI (5-19, 1-2 SoCon)
The Short Story: VCU dominated VMI 15-2, to win their fifth straight game on Tuesday night. The contest marked the Rams largest margin of victory so far this season.
- Logan Amiss led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits, three RBIs and two runs scored for the Rams
- Brandon Henson and Alex Taylor combined to post four hits in seven at-bats, six runs scored and one RBI vs VMI
- Hogan Brown chipped in with two hits, two RBIs and three runs scored in the win
- Evan Chenier moved to 5-0 on the season, allowing just one run in 3 innings pitched. The Rams bullpen struck out eleven batters on Tuesday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RHP Connor Gillispie strong start helped led the Rams defense to four hitless innings for VMI. Gillispie recorded seven strikeouts in just four innings pitched.
- VCU scored the first runs of the game in the bottom of the first inning after Hogan Brown, Brett Norwood and Liam Hibbits scored on Logan Amiss's RBI double to left center. Alex Taylor followed that up with an RBI double of his own to allow Amiss to score. Hunter Vay chipped in with an RBI single through the right side to score Taylor and put the Rams on top 5-0 early.
- Paul Witt's RBI single to center field in the bottom of the second drove Brown home and extended VCU's lead to 6-0.
- In the bottom of the third, Browns RBI single to center drove Taylor home. A few moments later, Zac Ching's RBI single to right allowed Brandon Henson to score. Ching and Brown also scored on the play due to a fielding error by the right fielder.
- Taylor and Amiss extended the Rams lead to 12-0 in the bottom of the fourth on Brown's RBI. Ching's RBI later in the inning allowed Henson to score again and put the Rams up 13-0.
- VMI scored their first run of the game in the top of the sixth after Smoot scored on Huggins RBI.
- Andrew Puglielli's RBI in the bottom of the sixth scored Henson to extend the Rams lead even further. Paul Witt's RBI a few plays later allowed Tomas Sanchez to score and push VCU's lead to 15-1.
- VMI scored one run in the top of the ninth to trim VCU's lead to 15-2.
VCU will be back in action on Friday, March 29, for Game One of their weekend series with Atlantic 10 opponent Davidson. That matchup is slated for 6:30 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.