Final Score: VCU 3, UMass 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU (18-6, 3-0 A-10), UMass (4-12, 0-3 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU completed a series sweep of UMass on Sunday, winning the final game 3-1. The win moved the Rams to 3-0 in Atlantic 10 play so far this season.
- Steven Carpenter led the way for the Rams offensively, posting one hit and two RBIs, in addition to being walked twice
- Brett Norwood and Alex Taylor combined to post two hits and two runs scored vs UMass
- Hogan Brown chipped in with a hit and an RBI in the win
- Jack Alkire earned his third win of the season, allowing just two hits in 3.1 innings pitched. The Rams bullpen struck out six batters on Sunday
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU's defense started the game off strong behind RHP Curtis Bafus, allowing no runs in the first two innings.
- UMass scored the first run of the game in the top of the third after L. Greene's RBI drove L. Oliphant home. The play gave the Minutemen a 1-0 lead heading into the bottom half of the inning.
- VCU tied the game in the bottom of the third inning after Hogan Brown's RBI allowed Alex Taylor to score his first run of the contest. The play knotted the score at 1-1 heading into the top of the fourth.
- Lead by Alkire, the Rams defense shut down UMass, not allowing a run in the fourth through eighth innings.
- In the bottom of the eighth, Steven Carpenter's RBI single up the middle allowed Brett Norwood and Andrew Puglielli to score the go-ahead runs for the Rams. The play put VCU on top 3-1 heading into the top of the ninth.
- Alkire struck out UMass's C. Shapiro to maintain the Rams 3-1 lead, and effectively end the game.
VCU will be back in action on Tuesday, March 26, for their Military Appreciation Game with VMI. That matchup is slated for 6:30 p.m., at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.