Final Score: VCU 9, Marist 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU 13-3, Marist 4-10
The Short Story: VCU won Game Two of their mid-week series with Marist 9-3 on Wednesday. The Rams have now won twelve of their last thirteen games overall, including nine in a row.
- Andrew Schatz led the way for the Rams offensively, posting two hits in three at-bats, to go along with a team-leading four RBIs, two runs scored, and his first homerun this season.
- Brett Willett added two hits, two runs scored and an RBI for the Rams
- Steven Carpenter provided two hits in three at-bats, two runs scored, and an RBI
- Evan Chenier earned the win for the Rams, Sam Ryan was credited with the save, and the Rams bullpen struck out twelve batters overall on Wednesday.
- VCU has scored at least six runs in seven of their last eight outings, including five in a row
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Justin Sorokowski started the out on fire, striking out three batters in the first two innings while also holding Marist scoreless during that time frame.
- VCU scored the games opening runs in the bottom of the second inning on scores by Hibbits, Carpenter and Schatz. The plays gave the Rams a 3-0 lead heading into the top of the third.
- Brett Willett scored the Rams fourth run of the day on Tomas Sanchez's RBI single to left in the bottom of the fourth. The play put VCU on top 4-0 heading into the top of the fifth.
- The Rams continued to pile it on in the bottom of the fifth, scoring four more runs. Carpenter and Willett each scored a run and recorded an RBI in the inning after they drove in Norwood and Witt respectively. Schatz's two run double to right drove Carpenter and Willet home to extend VCU's lead to 8-0.
- Marist trimmed VCU's lead to 8-3 in the top of the seventh on scores by Armitage, Kapuscinski and Gregoire.
- Schatz hit his first homerun of the season in the bottom of the eighth to push the Rams lead to 9-3 heading into the final inning.
- VCU's defense continued its strong play in the ninth inning, forcing three quick Marist outs to preserve the win.
VCU will be back in action on Friday, March 15, for the first game in their weekend series with UCF. That matchup is slated for 6:30 p.m., at John Euliano Park in Orlando, Fla.