Final Score: VCU 6, Lafayette 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (The Diamond)
Records: VCU 9-3, Lafayette 3-7
The Short Story: Rams defeat the Leopards 6-3 to earn their fifth consecutive victory. Today's win also marked the eighth win in the last nine games for VCU.
- Brett Norwood led the way for the Rams, scoring three runs in Friday's win
- Steven Carpenter recorded one hit in three at-bats, to go along with two RBIs on Friday
- Paul Witt and Zac Ching combined for two hits, two runs scored and one RBIs vs Lafayette
- Benjamin Dum earned his second win of the season, while Mac McCarty picked up his fourth save
- VCU has scored at least six runs in four of their last five outings
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Connor Gillispie started the game out on fire for the Rams, allowing no runs in the first four innings, while only surrendering two hits.
- With the score tied at 0-0 in the bottom of the fourth inning, Norwood scored the games opening run to put VCU up 1-0.
- Lafayette took the lead in the top of the sixth inning on scores by Mark Glover and Justin Johnson. The Leopards held a 2-1 lead heading into the bottom half of the inning.
- Carpenter helped VCU tie the game in the bottom of the sixth, when he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to allow Norwood to score. A few moments later, Witt scored to put the Rams back on top 3-2.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Ching doubled down the right field line to drive Hogan Brown home. A couple of plays after, Liam Hibbits hit a sacrifice fly to right field to allow Ching to score and extend the lead to 5-2.
- VCU extended their lead in bottom of the seventh to 6-2, when Carpenter earned his second RBI of the game after his single to center allowed Norwood to cross home plate.
- Lafayette would score one more run in the bottom of the eighth to trim VCU's lead to 6-3 but couldn't gain any more ground after that.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, March 9, for Game Two of their three-game weekend series with Lafayette. That matchup is slated for 2 p.m., at the Diamond in Richmond, Va.