Final Score: Maryland 4, VCU 3
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-3, Maryland 5-2
The Short Story: VCU's ninth inning rally came up just short in Tuesday's 4-3 loss to Maryland. The loss ended VCU's 3-game winning streak.
- Hogan Brown led the way for VCU, recording two hits in four at-bats to go along with two runs scored
- Zac Ching provided two hits and one run scored for the Rams
- Paul Witt contributed one hit and a team-leading two RBIs
- Brett Norwood, Steven Carpenter and Josh Simon each posted one hit on Tuesday
- The Rams bullpen totaled six strikeouts in today's contest
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maryland scored the first run of the game when Bednar's double allowed Wall's to score. The play put the Terrapins up 1-0 in the top of the first.
- The Rams re-tied the game at 1-1 when Ching scored on a Witt RBI in the bottom half of the first inning.
- VCU took their only lead of the game after Witt singled up the middle to drive home Brown and put the Rams up 2-1 in the bottom of the third.
- The Terrapins tied the game at 2-2 when Wright's sacrifice fly allowed Alleyne to score.
- Maryland took retook the lead in the top of the seventh inning when Costes's single to drive Wright home and give the Terrapins a 3-2.
- Maryland extended their lead to 4-2 in the top of the ninth when Wright scored on an RBI from Lee.
- The Rams trimmed Maryland's lead to 4-3 after Brett Norwood singled to shortstop and Brown scored. VCU's rally in the bottom of the ninth fell just short after leaving two men on base.
VCU will be back in action tomorrow, Feb. 27, when they travel to Chapel Hill, N.C. to take on the No. 6 ranked Tarhells.